"Professional learning is an investment that pays dividends in improved staff performance and student learning. Well designed and implemented professional development for school employees is an essential long-term investment. Carving out time during the school day for that professional learning is the responsibility of every school and district."
Valerie von Frank, Finding Time for Professional Learning
2011-12 APS Professional Learning Days*
Educators learn most effectively when they have time to learn and collaborate to accomplish the school’s mission and goals. Recognizing the importance of time to work together to analyze, reflect, and act on school-specific data, APS teachers and instructional assistants have an additional one day of professional learning this year. This uninterrupted time will give school communities an extra day to reflect on student achievement data and develop responsive action plans.
Expected Outcomes for the added Professional Learning Day for Teachers on October 10:
- Increase student achievement
- Identify areas of focus for future professional learning (early release days and other school based-professional development days)
- Use data protocols to delve into root cause
- Explore the reasons a particular root cause exists
- Focus peer collaborative inquiry on achievement and access to advanced classes
- Create action plans aligned with school management plans
- Assess student learning to inform instruction and monitor progress for all
- Use assessment to plan instruction
- Explore a wide range of assessment methods
- Design assessments that are congruent with instructional goals
- Communicate assessment processes and results
- Promote students’ self-assessments
Mark Your 2011-12 School Year Calendars:
Teachers - Monday, October 10th* (Columbus Day)
Barcroft teachers and assistants met July 26* (due to their alternative calendar)
Assistants - Monday, January 23rd (Snow Date - Monday, April 9th)
This is in addition to the APS assistant inservice day scheduled on Tuesday, November 8th.
Campbell assistants will meet Thursday, March 1st (due to their alternative calendar) in addition to Tuesday, November 8th.