Notice of Vacancy on the Arlington School Board
Pursuant to Sections 24.2-228 and 24.2-226(C) of the Code of Virginia, the Arlington School Board will fill the vacancy on the Board which occurred on March 28, 2012. As required by law, the School Board intends to fill that vacancy within 45 days of its occurrence and will consider a motion to appoint a new member under New Business at the end of its April 26, 2012 meeting. The appointment will be effective through December 31, 2012.
Applicants must be eligible for appointment under Virginia law, including that an applicant must:
Persons interested in filling the vacancy must submit a letter of interest and a resume to the Clerk of the School Board not later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 11, 2012. The letter should address the following questions:
- Be a qualified Arlington voter; and
- Not be an employee of the Arlington School Board.
The letter of interest and resume must be mailed or hand-delivered (no e-mail submissions accepted) to:
- In broad terms, what are the most critical issues facing Arlington Public Schools (APS) in the next two, five and ten years?
- Why do you want to serve on the School Board? What perspective will you bring? How would your personal, community and/or professional experience contribute to how you would serve the students and community of Arlington?
- What are the most significant decisions coming before the School Board during the term of this appointment? Describe your understanding of factors to be considered in the context of these decisions. How would your experience and perspective aid you and the Board in addressing these issues?
- Given the limited duration of the appointment, how do you envision yourself supporting and contributing to the work of the School Board? How do you envision your role and the relationship you will have with the Superintendent, staff, and community?
- If you are appointed, what do you hope to be your lasting contribution to our Arlington students and community at the end of your term?
Melanie Elliott, Clerk
Arlington School Board
1426 N. Quincy Street
Arlington, Virginia 22207
The Arlington School Board will conduct a public hearing on April 17, 2012 at 7:30 p.m. to hear comment on the appointment to fill the vacancy. Applicants may speak, but are not required to speak. Speakers will be limited to three minutes each and may sign up online
or at the hearing before 7:30 p.m. Written comments on the appointment also may be submitted to email@example.com
or to the address above.
Any information provided by applicants may be subject to release to the public under the Freedom of Information Act.