2023 Honored Citizen Nomination
Each year, the School Board recognizes a select group of individuals who have made outstanding contributions on a voluntary basis to our schools. This honor recognizes individuals who have committed significant time and energy to a broad range of volunteer activities throughout the Arlington school community. They embrace the mission of APS to ensure all students learn and thrive in safe, healthy, and supportive learning environments. They exemplify the core values of the APS Strategic Plan.
We invite you to nominate outstanding community members for the 2023 Honored Citizens Award. Individuals must meet the criteria below and be committed volunteers who have gone above and beyond in supporting our students and schools.
To be considered nominees must meet the following criteria: Demonstrate a sustained commitment of at least 5 years to Arlington Public Schools.
- Demonstrate unique and exceptional contributions to APS through their work
- Demonstrate significant time and energy spent on a broad range of volunteer activities throughout the Arlington school community
- Strong participation in school activities
- Foster cooperative relationships
- Contribute to the APS Strategic Plan
- Current APS staff, candidates for public office, and previous recipients will not be considered
The deadline to submit nominations was on March 13. The Board will recognize the 2023 Honored Citizens at an upcoming School Board meeting.
The Board will base their decision for this award solely on the submission of the nomination form. Any other information will not be considered.
- A person cannot nominate himself/herself
- A person may nominate more than one candidate
- A person may only submit one application per candidate
- Include a robust narrative describing the nominee’s volunteer activities at APS
- Provide supporting statements and letters of support
- Please fill out the nomination form completely
- The School Board will notify recipients of the 2023 Honored Citizens Award directly and will notify nominators if their candidate(s) was selected
We thank you in advance for bringing to our attention those committed volunteers who should be considered for this award. We will celebrate this year’s honorees at our Honored Citizens Recognition on April 19 (additional details will be provided later.)If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the School Board at email@example.com or call the School Board office at 703-228-6015.
2022 Honored Citizens
Nelly Hernandez – Carlin Springs Parents Teachers Organization, Arlington Schools Hispanic Parent Association, Carlin Springs Elementary School, Kenmore Middle School, and Washington-Liberty High School.
Sarah Clarke LaBonte – STEM for Girls Program, Oakridge Co-vice President PTA, Girl Scout Troop Leader, Oakridge Elementary School, and Yorktown High School.
April Maddox – PTA Reflections, Music Master’s Program, Boy Scout Troop 106, Nottingham and Discovery Elementary Schools, and Williamsburg Middle School,
Honored Citizen Lifetime Award
Judy Hadden – for going above and beyond in her four-decade-long of commitment to volunteering at APS.
List of previous Honoree Citizen recipients Honored Citizen Historical List-1975-2022