The purpose of the Superintendent’s Advisory Committee on Sustainability (SACS) is to provide recommendations to the Superintendent to achieve APS’ sustainability objectives. APS defines sustainability as meeting the current needs of our students and staff while preserving the resources for future generations. This entails integrating energy and environmental conservation into our daily operations and within our dynamic learning environment while meeting safety and comfort standards in a fiscally responsible manner.
The Committee shall work closely with other citizen advisory groups such as the Advisory Council of School Facilities and Capital Programs and the Advisory Council on Instruction. This committee intends to focus on the following objectives:
- Policies and Procedures with respect to environmental sustainability.
- Energy and Environmental Curriculum.
- Management and Conservation Programs.
- Community Outreach.
2016 APS Green Action Award Honorees
Three schools were recognized by the Superintendent’s Advisory Committee on Sustainability for Environmental Best Practices in honor of Earth Day 2016. The three schools received the award for the following projects:
- The Arlington Career Center’s installation of a hybrid photovoltaic/thermal solar system on a residence in Washington D.C.,
- Claremont Immersion School’s Green Kids Project to promote an idle-free zone, and
- Discovery Elementary School’s sustainable transportation initiatives.