What is Dual Enrollment?
Dual enrollment is an enrichment opportunity allowing high school students to earn college credits for courses taken through NOVA while still being enrolled in high school. Dual enrollment students are enrolled in both high school and NOVA.
Who can take Dual Enrollment classes?
High school juniors and seniors, who meet the established criteria, are eligible to participate in the dual enrollment classes. Freshmen and sophomores can be granted exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
What are the benefits of Dual Enrollment courses?
- Allows students to receive high school and college credit simultaneously.
- Eliminates the duplication of courses taken in high school and in college.
- Permits students to accumulate credits prior to entering college so they can be able to graduate from college early or on time.
- Provides students with a wider range of courses than usually offered in high school.
- Gives students an opportunity to complete general education courses required at most colleges and allows them to explore different fields before declaring a major.
- Facilitates a seamless transition from high school to college. Students can get a sense of what college is like without being overwhelmed by a new environment. Students can experience how high school classes compare to college courses and how college professors differ from high school teachers.
- Lowers the cost of a two or four year college education.
Where can students take these courses?
- On a NOVA campus- Students can take regularly scheduled college courses on campus and be part of the general student population at NOVA. Students will need to register for these classes on campus.
- Online-Students can take an online course through NOVA’s Extend Learning Institute.
- At high schools- Certain classes are offered during the regular school day for students attending certain high schools or the Career Center. These courses are taught by high school instructors who are NOVA adjunct professors and meet
- NOVA’s credentialing requirements.
How much do Dual Enrollment courses cost?
Contract courses taken within an APS high school are provided at no cost to the student. High school students taking a course on a NOVA campus or online are required to pay in-state tuition per NOVA’s Tuition & Fees enrollment rates.
For more information about enrolling in Dual Enrollment classes, please see your high school counselor or view the Dual Enrollment Manual.