GED (General Educational Development)
EMAIL Jerri Young at email@example.com during the pandemic if you have any GED questions.
All Winter 2021 Classes will be Google Classroom/Google Meet, virtual distance learning
Prerequisites for a google classroom: You will need a google email address. Please create a google email address if you do not have one, before registration. Email Jerri Young with your interest to register for a class, she will email you a link to take a short Reading assessment to determine class level before you register.
Jerri Young GED Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org (202) 780-7535
The General Educational Development (GED) Program is designed for persons who were once enrolled in school, but for various reasons, did not complete the requirements for high school graduation. Classes are available for persons who wish to develop or refresh the skills necessary for successful completion of the GED test. Students are encouraged to take the GED test when their progress indicates their readiness. New Students are required to take a Reading assessment to assure proper course placement.
Adult GED Preparation Classes
GED Google Classroom Preparation Level 4 (students will be sent a link the day class starts to join)
14-week class meeting Mon., Wed., Fri. mornings 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Course will cover all four subjects of the GED test. Cost: $129 GE-015A Winter 2021 Joseph 1/4 – 4/16 Mon./Wed./Fri.
14-week class meeting Mon. and Wed. evenings 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Course will cover all four subjects of the GED test. Cost $89 GE-015B Winter 2021 Van Buren 1/4 – 4/14 Mon./Wed.
GED Google Classroom Math Only (students will be sent a link the day class starts to join) 14-week class meeting Mon. and Wed. evenings 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Course is for students who have passed all subjects of the GED test, but the Math subject. Course will focus on Math concepts needed to pass the GED Math test. Cost $89 GE-018 Winter 2021 Joseph 1/4 – 4/14 Mon./Wed.
GED Google Classroom Preparation Level 3 (students will be sent a link the day class starts to join)
14-week class meeting Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Course will concentrate on improving Writing, Reading and Math skills. Cost: $89
GE-014 Winter 2021 Gonzalez 1/5 – 4/15 Tue./Thurs.
GED Google Classroom Preparation Level 2 (students will be sent a link the day class starts to join)
14-week class meeting Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Course will concentrate on improving Writing, Reading and Math skills. Cost: $89
GE-013 Winter 2021 Deliz 1/5 – 4/15 Tues./Thurs.
Pre-GED Google Classroom Basic Math Class (students will be sent a link the day class starts to join)
14-Week class meeting Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Course will concentrate on basic Math skills. Cost: $89
GE-012 Winter 2021 Jones 1/5 – 4/15 Tues./Thurs.
Pre-GED Google Classroom Skill Builder Class (students will be sent a link the day class starts to join)
14-week class meeting Saturday mornings from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Course will concentrate on Language Arts and basic Math skills. Cost: $69
GE-023 Winter 2021 Castellanos 1/9 – 4/17 Sat.
GED EN ESPANOL • CURSO PREPARATORIO y DE REPASO (Virtual Google Classroom w/ Google Meet Meetings)
Se ofrecen clases de repaso de las materias abajo indicadas, las que ayudaran a desarrollar Ia preparacion necesaria para pasar el examen del GED, y obtener el Certificado de Equivalencia de Educacion Secundaria otorgado por el Estado de Virginia. Requisitos: Haber completado Ia mayoria de los estudios secondaries o demostrar elconocimiento basicos de lectura, escritura y matemaficas. Materias de Estudio: Matematicas (aritmetica, algebra, geometria), ciencias, lectura y redaccion yestudios sociales. Matricula: $129
Lugares y Horario: Lunes y miercoles de 7:00p.m. a 9:00p.m.
Las clases empiezan el Winter 2021 1/11 – 4/19 (12 semanas, no hay clases cuando hay un feriado).
Codigo: 16FGE-003 Profesores: Sparks/Downs
GED Test Information
The 2014 GED test is given on the computer and there are 4 subjects. All 4 subjects do not need to be taken in one sitting. Students are encouraged to take one to two tests in a day.
Reasoning through Language Arts is 155 minutes, Mathematical Reasoning is 120 minutes, Science is 95 minutes, Social Studies is 95 minutes. Test-takers will need to reach a score of at least 145 on each subject of the GED® test to pass the test. If you plan to register for the GED Test in English or Spanish it must be done online. Go to www.ged.com, create an account, then register for the test. The GED test is taken at a Pearson Vue Testing Center.
Need a copy of your GED Transcript? Go to www.ged.com
**GED Graduation Date – June 11, 2021 7:00 p.m. Washington-Liberty H.S.**
The Individual Student Alternative Education Plan (ISAEP) (Fall 2020 ISAEP Program will be virtual distance learning with Microsoft Team Meetings daily, Monday through Friday)
Current Virginia Law (as of November 1999) Virginia law requires that all residents attend school until they receive a high school diploma or reach 18 years of age. In December 1999 the law was amended to allow students between the ages of 16 and 18 to choose an alternative school plan to satisfy the legal requirement. One option is preparing for the GED combined with career training and counseling. This plan is called the Individual Student Alternative Education Plan (ISAEP). A student who enrolls in the Individual Student Alternative Education Plan must follow and complete all requirements of the plan. Failure to do so puts the student in violation of the Virginia compulsory attendance law. (Virginia School Laws 22.1.254) Students in an ISAEP program are counted in the average daily membership of the school division. SOL requirements do not apply to the ISAEP.
ISAEP ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
1. Meet with principal (or designee) and parents for counseling on the impact of failing to complete high school and for planning an individual student education program
2. Obtain a signed permission form from parent or legal guardian to take the practice and reading tests. (All practice and reading tests are administered by ISAEP staff)
3. Take an assessment to determine reading level. (A minimum reading level of 7.5 is required for eligibility to begin the ISAEP.)
4. Take practice tests in all four GED subject areas and score at least 130 in each area. The four areas are: Reasoning through Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies
5. Meet with GED Coordinator and parent or legal guardian for planning an individual student education program. Obtain a school withdrawal notice to be signed by principal or designee.
(The student’s home school must sign a withdrawal notice to be officially enrolled in ISAEP at the Syphax Education Center.)
A potential ISAEP student’s attendance and disciplinary records are reviewed before being accepted into the ISAEP.
6. In order for a student to be eligible for enrollment in the ISAEP program, the student must be at least one full year behind in credits. Exceptions to this requirement may be made for students who are credit deficient and who are at risk of leaving school before completion.
ISAEP COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS: (If a student is under the age of 18, and would like to sit for the GED test, they must complete the following steps)
- Receive career testing and counseling (Virginia Wizard)
- Take practice tests in all four GED subject areas and score at least 150 in each area. The four areas are: Reasoning through Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies
- Take placement test at Northern Virginia Community College.
- Complete Economics and Personal Finance Course if not already completed at home high school
- Complete additional classroom assignments listed on the ISAEP Checklist
- Enroll in certification course at the Career Center or take the Microsoft Certification Course while enrolled in the ISAEP Program
- Complete all other requirements not listed above, before sitting for the GED test
- Take and pass the GED test after verification of completing all the ISAEP requirements