Honors Orchestra (grades 7, 8 & 9)
- Auditions will be submitted by audio recordings this year. There will be no in person auditions. Instructions are posted below.
- Deadline for submission is Friday, November 12, 2021
- Use the form linked below, to submit a Pre-recorded audition for the APS Honors Orchestra – grades 7, 8 & 9
- Make sure you have your instrument, music, and recording space ready. There should be no noise in the background. Ask your teacher for help if you need a quiet space to record. ** Make sure that your instrument is tuned before your start recording.
- You may use any device available to record, but the file must be submitted as an mp3 file. We will also accept mp4 or .mov files.
- Press Record. Say your name, school, grade (7th, 8th, 9th) and instrument (Violin 1, Violin 2, etc.).
- Play everything on the audition materials page starting at the top of the page.
- Please make only one recording that includes both scales and excerpts. Your recording should be in one “take,” without editing, but you may do as many “takes” as you wish.
- Once the recording is ready, please go through this form and upload the .mp3 file below. Ask your orchestra director for assistance, if needed.
Please play your audition in the following order:
- C Major Scale (20 points)
- C Melodic Minor Scale (20 points)
- Prepared Piece or Excerpt (60 points)
- Use this form to submit a recorded audition. If you have any problems with this, please contact your orchestra director, or Chris Monroy, at 703-228-6299.
- Practice and put in your best effort – you will do great! Best of luck! – Ms. Cahn and Mr. Pratte
- Submissions must be made by Friday, November 12, 2021
Rehearsals and Performance: All Rehearsals and Concert are at Kenmore Middle School
- All rehearsals and concerts are at Kenmore Middle School
- Rehearsal, Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022, 5:45-8:15 PM
- Rehearsal, Thursday, Jan. 27, 2022, 5:45-8:15 PM
- Rehearsal, Friday, Jan. 28, 2022, 5:45-8:45 PM
- Dress Rehearsals, Saturday, Jan. 29, 12:30 PM-2:00 PM, Kenmore Middle School
- In the event of a snow day, dress rehearsals on Saturday, January 29, may be lengthened
- Concert – Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022, 4:00 PM – Kenmore MS
- Snow Make-Up Date for the concert is Monday, January 31, 2022, 7:00 PM, Kenmore MS
Registration Materials for Honors Orchestra (grades 7, 8 & 9):
- 2021-22 Honors Band and Orchestra Grades 7- 9 parent letter English REVISED
- 2021.22 Honors Orchestra Online Registration
Registration Materials for Honors Orchestra in Spanish (grades 7, 8 & 9):
- 2021-22 Honors Band and Orchestra Grades 7- 9 parent letter Spanish REVISED
- 2021.22 Honors Orchestra Online Registration Form – Spanish
Audition Music and Materials for Honors Orchestra (grades 7, 8 & 9):
2021 – 2022 Audition Music:
- 21.22 HO Violin 1 Audition Music
- 21.22 HO Violin 2 Audition Music
- 21.22 HO Viola Audition Music
- 21.22 HO Cello Audition Music
- 21.22 HO String Bass Audition Music
Notes from the director on the audition music:
- All string instruments can rehearse the music together.
- There is no sight reading; the judges will be listening for shifting, technique, and tone color.