Arlington Public Schools has provided scholarship funds to support the preparation of Paraprofessionals to become teachers. This program enables current APS Paraprofessionals who qualify to participate in a partially funded program to obtain a Virginia teacher license. The APS Human Resources Department and representatives from the local participating universities screen applicants and identify Paraprofessionals who participate in the Assistant to Teacher Program.
Upon successful completion of the required coursework, participants will receive Virginia licensure in their area of concentration. Participants in the program are expected to fulfill a three year commitment to APS upon completion of the program and should actively seek employment with APS for a teaching position.
To be eligible for this opportunity, applicants must be full-time Paraprofessionals and meet the following criteria:
- Three consecutive years as an APS Paraprofessional
- Interest in becoming an APS Teacher
- Satisfactory references and evaluations
Send completed applications to Erin Wales-Smith in the Talent Acquisition & Management Office in the Human Resources Department at email@example.com. Make copies for your records. Click here to download the application.
Completed application must include:
- APS Assistant to Teacher Application
- A copy of current resume
- Written goal statement and short essay related to education
- Transcripts that include all relevant coursework
Human Resources and representatives from local universities will review applications and highly qualified candidates will be selected for an interview.
Following the interview and acceptance into the scholarship program, the APS Paraprofessional will:
- Commit to completing the endorsement program
- Forward transcripts to Carmen Aguilar via email or interoffice mail immediately following the successful completion of the courses with an expectation that a grade of C or higher must be obtained to receive funding
- Gain licensure in area of concentration
- Actively seek APS teaching opportunities when requirements are met
- Commit to employment in APS a minimum of three additional years from completion of program