Arlington Public Schools offers two disability plans. Your eligibility in either plan is based on different factors, such as the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) Plan in which you are enrolled, your hours worked, and if you are eligible for benefits. For more information about the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) and the specific retirement plan in which you are enrolled, visit our Retirement page.
Disability Benefits for VRS Hybrid Plan Participants
Effective July 1, 2019, disability coverage is offered through Anthem Life.
(For work-related injuries, go to the Workers’ Compensation page for information about reporting your incident.)
Short Term Disability
Members are eligible for disability coverage after 12 months of continuous participation (coverage) as a member of the VRS Hybrid Retirement plan through employment with Arlington Public Schools. Income replacement schedule is as follows:
|Months of Continuous Service with your Current Employer||Work days at 100% Income Replacement||Work days at 80% Income Replacement||Work days at 60% Income Replacement|
|0 – 12||0||0||0|
|13 – 59||0||0||125|
|60 – 119||25||25||75|
|120 – 179||25||50||50|
|180 or more||25||75||25|
- Elimination Period: Benefits begin after 7-calendar days. During this time, you must use your sick leave, if available, or the time will be unpaid. You may not elect to use more than seven calendar days of paid leave.
- Benefits through the short term disability plan are offset by all other sources of income.
- Minimum Benefit Payment: None
- Maximum Benefit Period: 125 contract work days
Long Term Disability
Long-term disability benefits are payable after a seven-calendar-day benefit waiting period plus 125 contract work days. If you are approved to receive short-term disability benefits by Anthem and progress to a long-term disability claim, you will not be required to complete a full long-term disability claim application.
- Monthly LTD Benefit: 60% of your pre-disability earnings; 80% of your pre-disability earnings for catastrophic conditions.
- Long Term disability benefit may be reduced by other sources of income and any earnings you may have while disabled.
- Elimination Period: Benefits begin after you have satisfied the 7-calendar day elimination period under the Short Term Disability plan and received 125 work days of Short Term Disability benefits.
Applying for Disability Benefits with Anthem:
File your claim by phone:
- After you tell your employer you’re going to be out of work, call Anthem toll free at 1-844-404-2111. Call Anthem as soon as you know you’ll be missing work or if you’re already off work.
Or you can file your claim online:
Anthem’s online system lets you enter all the information needed to start your short-term disability claim. Just go to https://myspecialtyappsanthem.com/claims/alic and follow the instructions to submit your claim:
Some helpful hints:
- For the type of claim, select Short-Term Disability
- For the type of user, select Employee
- The system will guide you through all information you need to give to Anthem Life to get started on your short-term disability claim
You can print any forms needed for your claim from the online system. Then you can fill out, scan and upload the forms during the submission process.
Once your claim is submitted online, you’ll receive a claim reference number and, if you give Anthem your email address, you can also receive a confirmation email. Be sure to keep the claim reference number handy — Anthem can help you faster if you have the claim reference number when you call them with questions.
If you have technical difficulties while you’re using the online claim system, call 1-844-404-2111, ext. 4044798627.
Please note you may be asked to provide the following information:
- Sponsor Name: Virginia Association of Counties Risk Pool (VACORP)
- Your name, address, and phone number
- Your Social Security number
- The last day you were at work
- The reason you can’t work
- Your doctor’s name, address, phone and fax number
VRS Hybrid Disability Carrier from January 1, 2014 through June 30, 2019:
(Continue the claim process with The Standard if your date of disability was before June 30, 2019, or if your claim has transitioned from a Short Term Disability claim to a Long Term Disability claim.)
The Standard Insurance Co. Hybrid Plan Disability Benefit Information:
STD Benefits at a Glance
STD Certificate of Coverage
LTD Benefits at a Glance
LTD Certificate of Coverage
How to File a Disability Claim with The Standard Insurance Co: (Do not file your claim with The Standard Insurance Co. if you date of disability is after July 1, 2019.)
- Download and review the VRS Hybrid Plan Disability Claim Overview and follow the instructions. You may also view the VRS Hybrid Plan Disability Claim Form.
- After The Standard Insurance Company reviews and receives your claim, the Standard Insurance Company will notify the APS Benefits Department.
Disability Benefits for
- VRS Plan 1 and Plan 2 members
- Arlington County Employees’ Supplemental Retirement System (ACERS) members
- Benefits-Eligible employees who do not participate in the VRS retirement plan
Liberty Mutual rebranding to Lincoln Financial Group
As of May 1, 2018, Liberty Life Assurance Company of Boston (Liberty Mutual) is now a wholly owned subsidiary of The Lincoln National Life Insurance Company, a Lincoln Financial Group Company. Your Liberty Mutual Insurance benefits are now provided by Lincoln Financial. Please open and read all correspondence you receive about your benefits. Regardless of the brand reference, there will be no interruption to benefits or claims processing.
Arlington Public Schools offers a long-term disability plan and is provided for full-time and part-time employees. The disability provider is Lincoln Financial Group (formerly Liberty Mutual). For purposes of this coverage, part-time is defined as working at least half-time and at least 15 hours per week. After a 30-day elimination period (of the exhaustion of your sick leave, whichever is greater), this plan provides a maximum disability benefit of 60% of income. The School Board pays the full cost of this insurance.
Through payroll deductions, employees may purchase an increased benefit of 10%, to bring the maximum benefit (60% APS-provided and 10% employee-paid) to 70% of income.
To apply for the LTD buy-up plan outside of your eligibility period, go to www.MyLincolnPortal.com to create an account. Company code is APSVA. Once your account has been created, click on Complete a Statement of Health and follow the instructions provided. If you have questions regarding this process, contact the Lincoln Financial Medical Underwriting team at 1-888-287-8494, prompt 2.
How to File a Disability Claim: