Effective January 1, 2018, Discovery Benefits is the new Flexible Spending Account (FSA) administrator for Arlington Public Schools. Scroll down to “What’s New in 2018?” to learn more about Discovery Benefits.
What is a Flexible Spending Account?
A Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is one of a number of IRS tax-favored accounts. An FSA allows an employee to set aside a portion of earnings to pay for qualified expenses, most commonly for medical expenses but often for dependent care or other expenses. Money deducted from an employee’s pay into an FSA is not subject to payroll taxes, resulting in a payroll tax savings.
What types of FSAs are available?
- Health Care FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
- Parking FSA and Transit FSA (for more information about Parking and Transit FSAs, visit the Commuter Benefits page)
An Open Enrollment period for the Flexible Spending Account Plan is held annually, during the month of October. Employees who wish to participate in the Health Care FSA and Dependent Care FSA program must re-enroll during each Open Enrollment period.
Qualifying Life Events
Qualifying Life Events allow employees to make changes to their accounts (such as electing or cancelling enrollment, or changing the election amount) outside of Open Enrollment. For additional information regarding Qualifying Life Events, review the document, “Changes Outside of the Open Enrollment Period,” located on the Benefits Home Page.
Health Care FSA
A Health Care FSA is an account you can use to pay for eligible health expenses (medical, prescription, dental, vision, and approved over-the-counter expenses) not covered by your insurance or any other plan. Eligible expenses include the following, but not limited to:
- Eligible medical, prescription, dental, and vision copays
- Deductibles and co-insurance
- Certain over-the-counter items
- Eyeglasses and contacts
- Dental expenses (excluding cosmetic treatment)
- Hearing aids
- Physical therapy and chiropractic care
2018 Health Care FSA Maximum Annual Election: $2,650
The plan year for the Health Care FSA is January 1st through December 31st. Claims must be incurred on or prior to December 31st of each plan year and must be submitted to Discovery Benefits (our plan administrator) by March 31st of the following plan year. Effective with the 2018 FSA Plan Year, Health Care FSA balances of $500 or less as of March 31st of the following plan year will automatically rollover to the next plan year. If an account balance exceeds $500, the amount over $500 is subject to the IRS “Use It or Lose It” rule and will be forfeited and cannot be returned to you.
Dependent Care FSA
Dependent care expenses, whether for a child or an elder, include any expenses that allow you to work, such as:
- Daycare services (child under 13, or adult)
- Before and after school care
- Summer day camps
2018 Dependent Care FSA Maximum Annual Election: $5,000 for single or married filing jointly, and $2,500 for married filing separately
The Plan Year for the Dependent Care FSA is January 1st through December 31st. Claims must be incurred on or prior to December 31st of each plan year and must be submitted to Discovery Benefits (our plan administrator) by March 31st of the following plan year. Dependent Care FSA accounts are subject to the IRS “Use It or Lose It” rule. Any account balance remaining in your Dependent Care Care FSA as of March 31st of the following plan year will be forfeited and cannot be returned to you.
“Use It or Lose It! — Dependent Care FSA and Health Care FSA Balances
Dependent Care FSA: Dependent Care FSA accounts are subject to the IRS “Use It or Lose It” rule. All unreimbursed amounts remaining in your Dependent Care Care FSA as of March 31st of the following plan year will be forfeited and cannot be returned to you.
Health Care FSA: Effective with the 2018 FSA Plan Year, unreimbursed amounts $500 or less in the Health Care FSA as of March 31st of the following plan year will “rollover” to the next plan year. Unreimbursed amounts exceeding $500 in the Health Care FSA as of March 31st of the following plan year will be forfeited and cannot be returned to you.
For the 2017 FSA Plan Year, all unreimbursed amounts will be forfeited as of March 31, 2018 and cannot be returned to you.
What’s New in 2018?
Effective January 1, 2018, New FSA Administrator and New Benefit Feature:
- New FSA Administrator — Effective January 1, 2018, Discovery Benefits is the new administrator for the Arlington Public Schools’ Flexible Spending Account Plan and has replaced our previous FSA administrator, CompuSys/ERISA Group, Inc.
Effective January 1, 2018, Discovery Benefits is administering the following Flexible Spending Accounts:
Health Care FSA
Dependent Care FSA
Parking FSA and Transit FSA (for more information about Parking and Transit FSAs, visit the Commuter Benefits page)
- New Benefit Feature — A $500 rollover feature has been added to the Health Care FSA and is effective with 2018 plan year. That means if you enroll in the Health Care FSA for 2018, up to $500 of your unused FSA funds will automatically roll over to the 2019 plan year. See Health Care FSA Rollover FAQ for more information. (REMEMBER: The $500 rollover feature only applies to the Health Care FSA. All unused funds in the Dependent Care FSA are subject to the IRS “Use It or Lose It” rule.)
If you participated in our Health Care FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Parking FSA, or Transit FSA in 2017 CLICK HERE for more information about the transition from our previous FSA vendor, CompuSys/ERISA Group, Inc. to our new FSA vendor, Discovery Benefits.
If you have any questions about your new FSA account with Discovery Benefits, please contact Discovery’s Benefits Participant Services team. Their contact Information is below:
Setting up your online account with Discovery Benefits
You’ll be able to manage your benefits information through your online account after completing a few steps:
- Set up your account by going to www.discoverybenefits.com/benefitslogin.
- From the login screen, click the “Create your new username and password” link and complete the required user identification fields.
- Answer the security questions and click the “Submit” button.
- Set up your username and password. You are now ready to start using your benefits!
On the go? Discovery’s secure (and free!) mobile app makes managing your health benefits easy by providing real-time, convenient access to all your account information on the go. You can easily check balances, view account details, and upload receipts. Make the most of your accounts by downloading the Discovery Benefits mobile app from the Apple or Android store today!
2018 Benefit Information:
2017 Benefit Information:
CompuSys/ERISA Group, Inc.:
To Create and View your FSA Accounts Online
Participants may check their FSA accounts online. To get started:
- Go to http://www.wealthcareadmin.com
- Click on Participant Login
- Click on Create Account
- Enter your First and Last Name and your APS Employee ID number
- Enter your Health Care or Transportation Flex card number where it states Card Number.
- Create a User ID and Password
For assistance with creating an online account, please contact CompuSys/ERISA Group, Inc. at 1-800-933-7472.
Forms and Additional Benefit Information
Additional information, including Claim Forms and Direct Deposit Forms, are available online at http://www.arlingtoncountyflex.com.