The Open Enrollment Period for the 2019 Plan Year is now closed.
Enrollment and coverage changes to your Health, Dental, and Vision Coverage, and your Health Care and Dependent Care FSA accounts requested after the open enrollment period requires a Qualifying Life Event (QLE), such as a change in marital status, birth of a child, or change in spouse’s work status or coverage. View list of Qualifying Life Events for more information.
Annual Benefits Open Enrollment
October 1, 2018 to October 31, 2018
Welcome to Open Enrollment!
- Find out “What’s New” in 2019
- View the 2019 Employee Contribution Schedule for Medical, Dental, and Vision
- View the Open Enrollment Information Sessions and Annual Benefits Fair Schedule
- Schedule an appointment for your free Biometric Health Screening and free Flu Shot
- Review the 2019 Benefit Summaries for the Medical, Dental and Vision coverage, and learn more about the Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- Learn how to access your online STARS “APS Employee Self-Service” portal to make your Open Enrollment elections (available for active, benefits-eligible employees)
Open Enrollment for Benefits-Eligible Employees and Retirees** begins on October 1st and closes October 31st, 2018. It’s a once-a-year opportunity for you to review the benefits offered by APS. Employees can change, enroll, and cancel benefits, add and remove dependents, and make an annual election for the Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts for the upcoming year.
**Scroll to the bottom of this page to view the 2019 Retiree Benefit Information.
A request to change your health, dental, or vision coverage, or your health care FSA and dependent care FSA elections after the open enrollment period ends requires a Qualifying Life Event. Qualifying Life Events include a change in marital status, birth of a child, or change in spouse’s work status or coverage. View the list of Qualifying Life Events for more information.
Coverage and benefit changes you make during Open Enrollment will be effective January 1, 2019. Updated Employee Contributions are also effective January 1, 2019. As a reminder, payroll deductions for medical, dental, and vision coverage are taken a month in advance. Therefore, the updated 2019 payroll deductions will go into effect on your December 14, 2018 pay check.
What’s New in 2019?
The following plan changes will go into effect January 1, 2019:
Cigna HIGH Plan and Cigna LOW Plan
- Under the prescription drug plan, generic drugs will be substituted for brand-name drugs whenever available. Effective January 1, 2019, if you request a brand name medication instead of the available generic (even though your doctor is OK with you taking the generic), you’ll pay a higher amount. You’ll pay your generic copay plus the difference in cost between the brand name and the generic medication. View Prescription Drug Cost Difference Flyer.
Have questions about the 2019 Cigna Healthcare benefits?
Contact Cigna’s Open Enrollment Help Line at 1-800-564-7642 to ask benefit questions about the plans going into effect as of January 1, 2019. Assistance will be available through Cigna’s Open Enrollment Help Line through December 31, 2018.
View Cigna’s Open Enrollment Help Line Flyer for more information.
For questions after January 1, 2019, contact Cigna Member Services at the phone number located on the back of your Cigna ID card.
Kaiser Permanente HMO Signature Plan:
- Discount Dental benefits will no longer be included in the Kaiser Permanente HMO medical plan (REMINDER: Open Enrollment is your opportunity to elect dental coverage with Delta Dental of Virginia for yourself and your eligible dependents.)
- Primary Care Physician (PCP) Copay increasing by five dollars ($5.00)
- Specialist Copay increasing by five dollars ($5.00)
- Prescription Copays increasing between five ($5.00) and ten ($10.00) dollars
Delta Dental of Virginia: No plan changes for 2019
Vision Service Plan (VSP):
Introducing VSP EasyOptions
When purchasing glasses or contacts, VSP EasyOptions allows you and each covered dependent to pick one enhanced eye wear option from the list below:
- an additional $100 Frame Allowance, or
- an additional $50 Contact Lens Allowance, or
- fully Covered Anti-Reflective Coating, or
- fully Covered Progressive Lenses
Flexible Spending Account Plan: No plan changes for 2019
Discovery Benefits will continue to administer the Arlington Public Schools’ Flexible Spending Account Plan.
- A $500 rollover feature was added to Health Care FSA in 2018. This means if you enrolled in the Health Care FSA for 2018, up to $500 of unused expenses will automatically roll over to the 2019 plan year. See Health Care FSA Rollover FAQ for more information.
- If you wish to have a Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or Dependent Care Flexible Account (FSA) in 2019, you must make an election as FSA elections do not roll over from plan year to plan year. You must make your FSA elections through your online STARS “APS Employee Self-Service” portal.
2019 Medical, Dental, and Vision Employee Contribution Schedule
Information Sessions and Annual Benefits Fair
To learn more about how to make informed health care choices and maximize your benefits, attend one of the Information Sessions scheduled throughout the month of October, or attend our Annual Benefits Fair, to be held on October 18th at the Syphax Education Center.
View the Information Sessions and Benefits Fair Schedule, mark your calendars, and join us!
At our October 18th Annual Benefits Fair, in attendance will be representatives from:
- APS Benefits Department
- Cigna Healthcare
- Kaiser Permanente
- Delta Dental of Virginia
- VSP Vision
- Discovery Benefits
- Lincoln Financial
- AXA Advisors
- Arlington Community Federal Credit Union
- Arlington Transportation Partners
- APS Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Stop by the Annual Benefits Fair and enter a drawing for a chance to win a prize!
Free Flu Shot and Free Biometric Health Screenings
Arlington Public Schools’ Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is hosting Flu Shot Clinics and Biometric Health Screenings. CLICK HERE to view the schedule and make an online appointment for a free flu shot and free biometric screening.
Accessing STARS APS Employee Self-Service
All Open Enrollment coverage elections and enrollment changes for the Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, and the Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts must be submitted online through your online STARS “APS Employee Self-Service portal.” You can also review your current coverage and benefit elections through STARS.
To access STARS:
- Go to the Staff Resources page.
- Scroll down the page and select the “Tools” section.
- If you are accessing STARS from inside the APS Network select the “Inside APS” link
- If you are accessing MySTARS outside of the APS Network (for example, from your home computer), select the “Outside APS” link
- After you are logged into STARS, from the Main Menu (located on the left-hand side of the page), select the “APS Employee Self-Service” link
- Select “Open Enrollment”
- STARS Password Reset Requests: Human Resources is unable to assist staff with recovering User Names or resetting Passwords. If you need assistance with accessing your STARS APS Employee Self-Service online portal, please contact the APS Help Desk at 703-228-2847.
2019 Benefit Information
Kaiser Permanente HMO:
Kaiser Permanente 2019 Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) ◊ view Spanish version
Kaiser Permanente 2019 Enrollment Guide ◊ view Spanish version
Kaiser Permanente Mental Health and Wellness Brochure
Your Guide to Kaiser Permanente Medical Centers
Cigna 2019 Benefit Summary HIGH Option
Cigna 2019 Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) HIGH Option
Cigna 2019 Benefit Summary LOW Option
Cigna 2019 Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) LOW Option
Cigna Prescription Drug Formulary effective January 1, 2019
Prescription Drug Cost Difference Flyer
Personal Health Team
Cigna Open Access Plus Overview
Cigna How to Make the Most of Your Health Plan
Delta Dental of Virginia:
Discovery Benefits Debit Card Flyer
Discovery Benefits Filing Claims Flyer
View Eligible Health Care FSA and Dependent Care FSA Expenses
Discovery Benefits Health Care FSA and Dependent Care FSA Flyer
2019 Retiree Coverage
Medical and Dental Rates for Non-Medicare and Medicare-Eligible Retirees
Medical Benefit Information for non-Medicare Retirees
- Cigna 2019 Benefit Summary HIGH Option
- Cigna 2019 Benefit Summary LOW Option
- Cigna Prescription Drug Formulary effective January 1, 2019
- Kaiser Permanente 2019 Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
Medicare Supplement Information for Medicare-Eligible Retirees
- UHC 2019 Senior Supplement Plan Guide
- UHC 2019 Senior Supplement Benefit Summary Plan N
- UHC 2019 Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) Plan Guide
- UHC 2019 Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) Benefit Summary
Dental Benefit Information for All Retirees