Welcome to Annual Benefits Open Enrollment!
- Find out “What’s New” for 2020
- View the 2020 Employee Contribution Schedule for Medical, Dental, and Vision
- View the Open Enrollment Information Sessions and Annual Benefits Fair Schedule
- Schedule an appointment for your free Biometric Health Screening and free Flu Shot
- Review the 2020 Benefit Summaries for the Medical, Dental and Vision coverage, and learn more about the Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- Learn how to access your online STARS “APS Employee Self-Service” portal to make your Open Enrollment elections (available for active, benefits-eligible employees)
Open Enrollment for Benefits-Eligible Employees and Retirees**
Begins October 1st and closes October 31st, 2019
It’s a once-a-year opportunity for you to review the benefits offered by APS. Employees can change, enroll, and cancel benefits, add and remove dependents, and make an annual election for the Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts for the upcoming year.
**Scroll to the bottom of this page to view the 2020 Retiree Benefit Information.
A request to change your health, dental, or vision coverage, or your health care FSA and dependent care FSA elections after the open enrollment period ends requires a Qualifying Life Event. Qualifying Life Events include a change in marital status, birth of a child, or change in spouse’s work status or coverage. View the list of Qualifying Life Events for more information.
Coverage and benefit changes you make during Open Enrollment will be effective January 1, 2020. Updated Employee Contributions are also effective January 1, 2020. As a reminder, payroll deductions for medical, dental, and vision coverage are taken a month in advance. Therefore, the updated 2020 payroll deductions will go into effect on your December 13, 2019 pay check.
What’s New for 2020?
The following plan changes are effective January 1, 2020:
Kaiser Permanente HMO Signature Plan:
- Age limit removed for benefits related to Autism Spectrum Disorder
Cigna Healthcare: No plan changes for 2020
Delta Dental of Virginia: No plan changes for 2020
Vision Service Plan (VSP): No plan changes for 2020
Flexible Spending Account Plan: No plan changes for 2020
Discovery Benefits will continue to administer the Arlington Public Schools’ Flexible Spending Account Plan.
- If you wish to have a Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or Dependent Care Flexible Account (FSA) in 2020, you must make an election as FSA elections do not roll over from plan year to plan year. You must make your FSA elections through your online STARS “APS Employee Self-Service” portal.
- A $500 rollover feature is included in the Health Care FSA. This means if you enrolled in the Health Care FSA for 2019, up to $500 of unused expenses will automatically rollover to the 2020 plan year. See Health Care FSA Rollover FAQ for more information.
2020 Medical, Dental, and Vision Employee Contribution Schedule
Information Sessions and Annual Benefits Fair
To learn more about how to make informed health care choices and maximize your benefits, attend one of the Information Sessions scheduled throughout the month of October, or attend our Annual Benefits Fair, to be held on October 15th at the Syphax Education Center.
View the Information Sessions and Benefits Fair Schedule, mark your calendars, and join us!
At our October 15th Annual Benefits Fair, in attendance will be representatives from:
- APS Benefits Department
- Cigna Healthcare
- Kaiser Permanente
- Delta Dental of Virginia
- VSP Vision
- Discovery Benefits
- Lincoln Financial
- AXA Advisors
- Arlington Community Federal Credit Union
- Arlington Transportation Partners
- APS Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Stop by the Annual Benefits Fair and enter a drawing for a chance to win a prize!
Free Flu Shot and Free Biometric Health Screenings
Arlington Public Schools’ Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is hosting Flu Shot Clinics and Biometric Health Screenings. CLICK HERE to view the schedule and make an online appointment for a free flu shot and free biometric screening.
Accessing STARS APS Employee Self-Service
All Open Enrollment coverage elections and enrollment changes for the Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, and the Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts must be submitted online through your online STARS “APS Employee Self-Service portal.” You can also review your current coverage and benefit elections through STARS.
To access STARS:
- Go to the Staff Resources page.
- Scroll down the page and select the “Tools” section.
- If you are accessing MySTARS from inside the APS Network select the “Inside APS” link
- If you are accessing MySTARS outside of the APS Network (for example, from your home computer), select the “Outside APS” link
- After you are logged into MySTARS, select the “APS Employee Self-Service” link
- Select “Open Enrollment”
- STARS Password Reset Requests: Human Resources is unable to assist staff with recovering User Names or resetting Passwords. If you need assistance with accessing your STARS APS Employee Self-Service online portal, please contact the APS Help Desk at 703-228-2847.
2020 Benefit Information
Kaiser Permanente HMO:
Kaiser Permanente 2020 Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) ◊ view Spanish version
Kaiser Permanente 2020 Enrollment Guide ◊ view Spanish version
Kaiser Permanente Mental Health and Wellness Brochure ◊ view Spanish version
Your Guide to Kaiser Permanente Medical Centers
Cigna 2020 Benefit Summary HIGH Option
Cigna 2020 Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) HIGH Option
Cigna 2020 Benefit Summary LOW Option
Cigna 2020 Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) LOW Option
Cigna Prescription Drug Formulary effective January 1, 2020 (coming soon)
Prescription Drug Cost Difference Flyer
Personal Health Team
Healthy Rewards Program and Fit Direct
Cigna Open Access Plus Overview
How to Make the Most of Your Health Plan
Have questions about the 2020 Cigna Healthcare benefits?
Contact Cigna’s Open Enrollment Help Line at 1-888-806-5042 to ask benefit questions about the plans going into effect as of January 1, 2020. Assistance will be available through Cigna’s Open Enrollment Help Line through December 31, 2019.
View Cigna’s Open Enrollment Help Line Flyer for more information.
Delta Dental of Virginia:
When purchasing glasses or contacts, VSP EasyOptions allows you and each covered dependent to pick one enhanced eye wear option from the list below:
- an additional $100 Frame Allowance, or
- an additional $50 Contact Lens Allowance, or
- fully Covered Anti-Reflective Coating, or
- fully Covered Progressive Lenses
2020 Retiree Coverage
UnitedHealthcare Senior Supplement and Prescription Drug Plan:
There are no coverage changes for 2020 to the UnitedHealthcare Senior Supplement Plan or Prescription Drug Plan.
Kaiser Permanente Medicare Plus (Cost) Plan and Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage:
As was announced in 2018, the Kaiser Permanente Medicare (Cost) Plus plan is ending and Kaiser Permanente is automatically enrolling affected members into the Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage plan.
- Kaiser Permanente initiated this process in 2018 for residents of the District of Columbia and certain Maryland counties. These enrollees transitioned to Kaiser’s Medicare Advantage coverage effective January 1, 2019.
- Kaiser is finalizing the transition in 2019 – residents of Virginia and in the remaining Maryland counties will be automatically enrolled in the Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage plan effective January 1, 2020.
- If you are a retiree moving to Kaiser’s Medicare Advantage plan on January 1, 2020, you should have recently received a letter from APS informing you of the change. This letter advises your medical benefits will continue to be provided by Kaiser Permanente in the same way they are today. You will continue to have a Kaiser ID card for your medical and prescription drug benefits and your covered benefits and copayments will remain the same.
- Additional information about the transition can be found here: http://kp.org/MAGroup2020
Medical and Dental Rates for Non-Medicare and Medicare-Eligible Retirees
Medical Benefit Information for non-Medicare Retirees
Medicare Supplement Information for Medicare-Eligible Retirees
UHC 2020 Senior Supplement Plan Guide (coming soon)
UHC 2020 Senior Supplement Benefit Summary Plan N (coming soon)
UHC 2020 Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) Plan Guide (coming soon)
UHC 2020 Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) Benefit Summary (coming soon)
Dental Benefit Information for All Retirees