FY 2017 Adopted Budget at a Glance
The School Board’s FY 2017 Adopted Budget totals $581.9 million which is a 4.4 percent increase over the FY 2016 Adopted Budget.
|Total Adopted Budget: $581.9 million|
|Projected Enrollment: 26,414|
|Cost per Pupil: $18,957|
|County Transfer: 79.8%||Schools: 84.0%|
|State: 11.8%||Instructional Support: 4.1%|
|Federal: 2.2%||Facilities & Operations: 7.2%|
|Local: 3.3%||Management & Support Services: 4.1%|
|Other: 2.9%||Leadership: 0.6%|
Enrollment is expected to increase 1,176 students or 4.7% from September 2015 to September 2016 for a total enrollment of 26,414.
*Actual September 30, 2016 enrollment was 26,152, an increase of 914 students or 3.6%.
County revenue increases by $12.9 million in FY 2017. This results from both increased local tax revenues and an increase in the School’s share of the revenues.
Beginning balance, or carry-forward remains at $3.5 million, the same amount in the FY 2016 Adopted Budget.
Funding reserves increases $6.0 million or 56.3% due to the difference in the reserve funds included in the FY 2016 budget and the reserve funds included in the FY 2017 budget.
State revenue increases $4.2 million or 6.5%, primarily due to increased enrollment and sales tax. Federal revenue increases $0.5 million or 4%, primarily due to an increase in Title I funding in the Grants and Restricted Programs fund and anticipated increases in funding for Food and Nutrition Services from the National School Lunch Program.
Local revenue from fees, charges, and grants is expected to increase by $1 million or 5.3% for FY 2017 based on historical trends, increased revenue due to increased participation in the Food and Nutrition Services, Extended Day, and Aquatics programs and an increase in school breakfast and lunch prices.
Funding was provided for:
- An additional 93.1 positions plus materials and supplies for enrollment growth
- A step increase for eligible employees
- A 1.75% increase for those employees who would not receive a compensation adjustment with a step increase
- An increase in the minimum hourly wage to $14.50 per hour for regularly-scheduled workers
- Increased debt service based on the Spring 2016 bond sale
- Additional funding for 18.53 positions and non-personnel costs to continue current services based on contractual obligations and prior commitments
New investments total $9.7 million and 77.8 positions, and include:
- Arlington Tech at the Career Center
- Central Registration
- Student and instructional support in order to provide specific, targeted support to students and instructional staff
- Professional development for teachers and administrators
- Safety and security needs for school buildings
- Infrastructure and support needed in order to provide central support to students and staff in preparation for being a 30,000 student school division in 2021
Savings and efficiencies total $9.4 million and include:
- Significantly adjusting the salary base for current and on board employees
- Reducing the budgeted VRS retirement contribution to reflect actual costs
- Reducing the Comprehensive Services Act Fund budget to more closely reflect actual and projected expenditures
- Seeking additional reimbursement from Medicaid for qualifying special education services
FY 2017 School Board’s Proposed Budget
- April 8, 2016 News Release: School Board Adopts FY 2017 Proposed Budget
- April 7, 2016: School Board’s Proposed Budget Presentation
FY 2017 Superintendent’s Proposed Budget
- Superintendent’s FY 2017 Proposed Budget Document
- February 23, 2016: Superintendent’s FY 2017 Proposed Budget Presentation
- FY 2017 Budget Video
- FY 2017 Superintendent’s Proposed Budget at a Glance
- School Board Budget Questions
- County Board Budget Questions
- Budget Advisory Council Budget Questions
Key Stakeholders Meetings
|November 19, 2015||Education Center Room 101A||Presentation||Notes|
|December 10, 2015||Wakefield Cafeteria||Presentation||Notes|
Community Budget Forums
|December 1, 2015||Kenmore Black Box Theatre||Presentation||Notes|
|December 7, 2015
Joint Schools and County
|December 15, 2015
|Carlin Springs Cafeteria||Presentation||Notes|
|December 16, 2015||Williamsburg Cafeteria||Presentation||Notes|
Sounding Board Notes
|December 1, 2015||Washington-Lee High School||Notes|
|December 2, 2015||Oakridge Elementary School||Notes|
|December 9, 2015||Budget Advisory Council (BAC)||Notes|
Budget Work Sessions
|February 25, 2016||Budget Work Session #1||Agenda/Materials|
|March 2, 2016||Budget Work Session #2||Agenda/Materials|
|March 8, 2016||Budget Work Session #3||Agenda/Materials|
|March 15, 2016||Budget Work Session #4||Agenda/Materials|