Arlington Public Schools is a nationally recognized award-winning school district. We are always seeking top-notch employees to help continue this tradition of excellence.
- APS is the recipient of the prestigious Medallion of Excellence award presented by the U.S. Senate Productivity and Quality Awards for Virginia and the District of Columbia.
- 12 APS schools received the 2014 Virginia Index of Performance awards for advanced learning and achievement.
- The Washington Post Challenge Index ranked all four Arlington high schools in the top 75 among the region’s high schools and in the top two percent among all 27,000 high schools in the nation.
- Last year, the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards announced that 24 APS teachers earned National Board Certification. Currently, Arlington ranks third in Virginia with 164–approximately 6.8 percent–of our teachers who are National Board Certified.
- More than 95% of APS students earn one or more high school credits during their middle school years.
- More than 90% of 2013 graduates planned to attend a two- or four-year college, and 91.3% pf our students graduate on time from high school.
- Home to Virginia’s only Public Montessori School program.
- Spanish-language Immersion Schools
If you choose to live in Arlington,VA, you’ll be just minutes from Washington, D.C., offering all the culture and style of our capital city: the fine arts and rich history of Smithsonian national museums and national monuments, the great outdoors with more than 80 miles of county biking and jogging trails and an award-winning parks system, and much more. Arlington is a diverse and dynamic community made up of several thriving and unique neighborhoods. From the shops, restaurants and urban living in Clarendon and Ballston, to more traditional, single-family neighborhoods and unique small businesses, you can find a location that suits your lifestyle so you can live close to where you work. Arlington is not just a great place to work, it’s also an ideal place to live! Learn more about living in Arlington
APS provides state-of-the-art resources and the training employees need to do their jobs effectively. The Department of Information Services provides comprehensive training and services to support APS students and staff.
Instructional Technology Coordinators
Instructional Technology in Arlington is facilitated through school-based Instructional Technology Coordinators (ITCs). The ITCs provide leadership, professional development, and support to instructional staff with the integration of computer, video, information and communication technologies. More information about ITCs
21st-Century Classroom Technology
Smartboards, computer labs
We are ready to begin putting personalized devices in the hands of students. In this final phase before full roll-out we are studying the opportunities provided by transitioning from shared devices to personalized devices. Every school in the system is conducting a pilot which is focused on identifying instructional best practices which leverage personalization. These best practices will be woven into teacher professional development and the full project implementation over the upcoming years. More information about ITCs.