All requests for field experience placements/observations are coordinated through the Professional Learning Office. You must be currently enrolled in a teacher preparation program in order to apply for field experience. Requests for student teacher/counseling or internship requests should be directed to Human Resources. Teachers, principals, or assistant principals are not to be contacted directly by the university or students. Please refer to our 22-23 Field Experience Guidelines for further information.
Application Deadlines – After the below dates, we may not be able to honor requests.
- For Fall placement – application must be received by September 30
- For Spring placement- application must be received by February 15
- For Summer placement- application must be received by July 1
Requests will not be sent to the schools until after the third week of school so teachers and students can settle into their routines. We will not be able to place any field experience or observation requests received after these due dates.
Placement Procedures for Observation/Field Experience Requests
- Fill out the application for a request for Field Experience. Complete applications include:
a. Required information in application
b. Course Syllabus
c. TB Test
- Applicants will receive a confirmation that the first step of the application is complete, or the request for more information is needed within one week of submitting an application.
- Notification of a completed application will have a Talent and Acquisition contact that will reach out to schedule a Child Protective Service background check and fingerprinting. Please bring the confirmation email with your visit to the Human Resources Office
- Once prompted by the Talent and Acquisition contact, please visit Arlington Public Schools Human Resources Office at 2110 Washington Boulevard, 4th Floor, Arlington VA 22204 to get fingerprinted and start the CPS background check.
- Park in B-1 or B-2 and take the elevator to the Lobby. Enter the building and check in at the health screener, then take the elevator to the 4th floor.
- Let the main desk know that you need your fingerprints and CPS background check for Field Experience.
- Once your fingerprints and background check have been cleared (typically 1-2 days), please wait up to 2 weeks to receive an email with your placement information.
If you need any assistance, please reach out to APSlearns@apsva.us.