About The Heights Building Phase 2 Project
The School Board Adopted FY 2022-24 Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) includes a capital project to complete The Heights Building with improvements originally intended to be part of the main capital project, but that had to be delayed until the removal of Arlington County’s temporary fire station. The project will provide improvements to building access, accessible parking, bicycle infrastructure, and athletic facilities with a synthetic turf field. Construction is expected to begin summer 2023 and extend through winter 2025. Once complete the project will allow substantial improvements to school operations and provide several community benefits.
Principle features of the project include:
- An inviting and universally accessible path to a main entrance adjacent to the Shriver Program administrative area;
- Covered, off-street area for student pick-up and drop-off for those with differing abilities;
- Convenient handicap parking for staff and visitors, immediately adjacent to a building entrance; and
- The largest possible lighted synthetic turf field for school and community use.
Other features include:
- Required stormwater management infrastructure;
- Enhanced, covered bicycle facilities for students and visitors;
- Secure bicycle facilities for staff;
- Outdoor equipment storage; and
- The only on-site parking spaces within the exclusive control and operation of APS.
For information and materials related to construction of the school, which opened in September 2019, see The Heights Building Phase 1 website. Provide feedback through firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 16, 2022 – County Board Use Permit APS Presentation, County Presentation
- June 30, 2022 Transportation Commission and July 7, 2022 Planning Commission Presentation
- May 2, 2022 – Planning Commission Presentation
- April 28, 2022 – Transportation Commission Presentation
- April 19, 2022 – Park and Recreation Commission Presentation
- April 14, 2022 – Public Facilities Review Commission Presentation
- March 31, 2022 – Phase 2 Multimodal Transportation Assessment (MMTA)
- February 2, 2022 – Use Permit Amendment Application letter of support , Preliminary Multimodal Transportation Assessment (MMTA)
- August 6, 2021 – School Board Adopted FY 2022-24 CIP report (identifies “Option A” for Phase 2 and indicates available project funding)
- May 11, 2021 – School Board Work Session #1, Superintendent’s Proposed FY 2022-24 CIP presentation (includes the Phase 2 options considered)
- August 18, 2020 – School Board Work Session, The Heights Building Accessibility and Capital Project Planning presentation (includes details associated with the interim condition, including its challenges, and several options for Phase 2)