Teachers and students engage in learning through Canvas, our learning management system (LMS). Canvas allows students to access their classes, assignments and assessments, and communicate with teachers. Learn about Canvas Parent Observer Accounts
Canvas for Students
- APS Canvas overview for Students and Parents
- Canvas Guides
Canvas Parent Observer Accounts
We know parents are eager to support and help their children become independent learners, especially as we engage in distance learning. For the 2020-21 school year, parents may create a Canvas Parent Observer account and access Canvas via a web browser or the Parent app. You do not need a Canvas account to monitor student progress. You can continue to use ParentVUE. However, you can use a Canvas account to view more detailed assignment information, view feedback, and communicate with the teacher.
With the Parent Observer account, via the web browser, parents CAN:
- see every course their child is enrolled in
- see all content in the course, including their child’s submissions, grades*, and feedback for any assignments graded in Canvas
- adjust their notifications and frequency
- communicate with teachers via the Inbox
With the Parent Observer account, via the web browser, parents CANNOT:
- see Discussions and Quizzes
- see content from integrated or linked tools such as: Google Docs, MS Streams videos, Discovery, and others
* Secondary parents must continue to access ParentVUE to see official grades for all assignments and grade totals, unless the teacher/course is participating in the soft roll out of grading in Canvas.
OVERVIEW OF THE PARENT ACCOUNT CREATION AND ACCOUNT PAIRING PROCESS
Generating a Student Pairing Code
- Students generate a pairing code from their Canvas Account Settings — either from the browser or Student App.**
- A pairing code expires in 7 days or after first use. A new code can be generated if the parent is unable to enter it within the timeframe. A separate pairing code can be generated for another parent or guardian.
- Parents/guardians can pair with multiple children — each child will have a unique pairing code.
- **Teachers can also generate a pairing code on behalf of a student.
Parent Account Creation & Account Pairing
- Parents: Go to https://apsva.instructure.com/login/canvas and click “Click here for an Account” to create your account.
- You will fill out a form with:
- Your name
- Personal Email address
- Enter / Re-enter Password
- Student Pairing Code
- IMPORTANT: Be careful: if an email address has a typo, you will not be able to reset your password.
- APS Staff who are parents must use a PERSONAL email for a parent account to avoid account conflicts
CANVAS PARENT APP
For Parents/Guardians wanting to connect on the go, the Canvas Parent app is a mobile application that provides access to class information (Calendar, Assignment details, and Announcements). You can download the free Canvas Parent App on a mobile device (iOS or Android). Once downloaded, tap the app icon to open it. Tap the “Find my school” button. When prompted with “What’s your school’s name?” type Arlington Public Schools — a list of options will appear; select Arlington Public Schools – Parents. (NOTE: Do not select Arlington Public Schools/NE) Log in using the same login (email) and password you used to create your account above. For a Canvas experience more similar to that of your child’s, we recommend using the web browser login process noted above.If you experience any technical challenges with the pairing process of the Canvas Parent account, please refer to the tutorials linked below. We are prioritizing support for students and teachers at this time.
While the Canvas Parent Observer account does allow you to monitor student progress, we encourage you to foster independence in your child as they adjust throughout the school year. You are an important ally in your child’s education. APS is committed to ensuring that all parents are able to access instructional resources in order to support their child’s learning. Please notify your child’s teacher or the principal if you are not able to access these resources for any reason.