Discovery Elementary School began standards-based instruction, grading, and reporting in Fall 2015. Ashlawn and Oakridge joined the pilot in Fall of 2018.
Standards-based instruction focuses on what students understand and does not utilize traditional letter grades. Standards-based grading and reporting practices –
- Align to best practices in teaching and learning
- Promote consistency
- Focus on what students know and can do
- Are specific
- Involve students
The APS pilot schools utilized a progress report that provided families with their student’s current level of mastery for various standards. Standards-based instruction, grading, and reporting expanded:
- Fall 2019 to 8 elementary schools (Abingdon, Barrett, Fleet, Hoffman Boston, McKinley, Nottingham, Randolph, & Tuckahoe)
- Fall 2021 to 6 elementary schools (Arlington Science Focus, Barcroft, Innovation, Long Branch, Montessori Public School of Arlington, & the elementary Virtual Learning Program)
- Fall 2022 to 1 additional elementary school (Carlin Springs)
As the implementation of standards-based reporting is expanded at the elementary level, we will continue to communicate with families, support teachers and administrators, and gather stakeholder feedback.
Please contact Sarah Putnam, APS Executive Director of Curriculum and Instruction.