Review of Elementary School Walk Zones
APS staff will develop a plan for elementary school boundaries using a phased approach, which begins by reviewing school walk zones and identifying potential expansions of these zones. We recognize that Arlingtonians are committed to walkable communities and APS seeks to meet Whole Child initiatives on the benefits of walking to school, plus help mitigate increasing transportation costs.
Elementary School Task Groups
- Click here for additional school specific resources or click on individual schools below.
APS is creating a task group for each elementary school to provide input on the current school walk zones and identify any potential areas of expansion.The task group will include representatives from:
- The Civic Association(s) within a one mile walk distance of the school
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- School Ambassadors on current APS initiatives
- Advisory Committee on Transportation Choices (ACTC)
- Joint Committee on Transportation Choices (JCTC), and
- Advisory Council on School Facilities and Capital Programs (FAC)
We intend to run these work sessions in the same format as the School Board work sessions; open to the public for observation, but not for public comment. Please note APS will provide maps and questionnaires online during this process so that community members can share their thoughts on walk zones using online tools.
What We Heard on Walk Zone Review – March 15-21
Each school task group to attend one of four work sessions with APS staff to review the input from their respective school communities on potential expansions of school walk zones. Click on each school for additional information.
- Thursday, March 15, Yorktown HS cafeteria, 7-8:30 pm
- Monday, March 19, Langston-Brown Community Center gym, 7-8:30 pm
- Tuesday, March 20, Education Center room 101, 7-8:30 pm
- Wednesday, March 21, Wakefield HS cafeteria, 7-8:30 pm
- School Task Group Tool Kit
- Getting Started Presentation
- What We Heard Presentation
- School Board Policy 30-2.2 Boundaries
- Planning Unit Map and Locator
- Current Elementary School Boundaries
- Considerations for APS Walk Zones, considerations developed by Walk Zone Work Group (WZWG)
- Classifications of Arlington Street Crossings
- Safe Routes to School
- APS Go!
- K-5 Students by Planning Unit School Year 2017-18