Page Links: What is the Capital Improvement Plan (CIP)? | Who will be impacted? | Timeline | Forthcoming Events | Recent Events | Engage on the CIP and Community Input | Community Input | More About the CIP | Prior CIP Documents
New! Please click here to provide input on the Community Questionnaire on CIP. The questionnaire will be available until May 31.
What is the Capital Improvement Plan (CIP)?
Every two years, the School Board adopts a CIP that addresses APS capital needs—investments needed to improve or enhance the infrastructure of our schools—over the next ten years. The CIP includes major capital projects, such as new schools and school additions, as well as major maintenance and minor construction projects. By June 21, 2018, the School Board will adopt a new Fiscal Year 2019-2028 CIP. To learn more about the CIP, click here.
Who will be impacted?
Current and future APS students and surrounding communities may be impacted by capital projects. Since these projects are funded by general obligation bonds issued by Arlington County, all Arlington voters are asked to support the School Bonds referendum in November of even-numbered calendar years. Funding for the CIP is separate from the APS budget developed each year for the operational costs of our schools.
Below is a list of prior and upcoming CIP related meetings and milestones, which are part of the process in the School Board’s setting of CIP priorities and timeframe for capital projects. As presentation and background content become available, links to documents will be added to meeting dates.
- Joint School Board/County Board Work Session, May 29
- School Board Information Item: School Board’s FY 2019-2028 CIP, June 7
- Work Session #5 (if needed), June 12
- School Board Adoption: School Board’s FY 2019-2028 CIP, June 21
- County Board adopts final FY 19-28 CIP (includes schools), July 2018
- Bond referendum on CIP projects, November 6, 2018
- Work Session #4, May 22
- CIP Information Session at Patrick Henry Elementary School, 6:00-7:00 p.m., May 21
- CIP Information Session at Swanson Middle School, 6:00-7:00 p.m., May 16
- Work Session #3, May 15
- CIP Information Session at Washington-Lee High School, 6:30-7:30 p.m., May 14
- Work Session #2, May 7
- School Board Information Item: Superintendent’s Proposed FY 2019-2028 CIP, May 3
- Work Session #1, April 24
- School Board Monitoring Item, April 19
- School Board Work Session, April 12
- School Board Information Item, March 22
- FAC meetings on CIP priorities:
- Sub-committee meeting, March 1
- Sub-committee meeting, March 7
- Full committee meeting, March 12
Engage on the CIP
Stay informed and provide input on the FY 2019-2028 CIP with the following engagement resources and activities:
- Community input will be gathered on the Superintendent’s proposed CIP
- Community Input question using the k12 input portal will run May 14-31 (Please note that previously this website said the survey would be posted May 11)
- Staff will be available to answer questions on the CIP during the Open Office Hours held for the Elementary School Planning Initiative:
- April 16, Wakefield High School (7-8:30 p.m.)
- April 20, Education Center (7:30-9 a.m.)
- April 21, Kenmore Middle School (9:30-11 a.m.)
- Community Information Sessions:
- Information Session at Washington-Lee High School, 6:30-7:30 p.m., May 14
- Information Session at Swanson Middle School, 6:00-7:00 p.m., May 16
- Information Session at Patrick Henry Elementary School, 6:00-7:00 p.m., May 21
- Inquiries regarding the CIP process should be sent to Engage@apsva.us
More about the CIP
CIP priorities are informed by the Arlington Facilities and Student Accommodation Plan (AFSAP), which analyzes long-term enrollment projections and any anticipated need for additional permanent seats at all school levels to support the educational mission of APS. The CIP is also informed by input from advisory councils, such as the Advisory Council on School Facilities and Capital Programs (FAC), which is formally charged by the School Board with providing advice and recommendation on each biennial CIP. The FAC recently provided feedback on the timing for additional permanent seats at the Elementary, Middle and High School levels for the FY 2019-2028 CIP.
Prior CIP Documents
Prior CIP documents can be found in the APS Budget & Finance webpage at this link.