Para más información por favor haga clic aquí.
On November 14, 2017 the School Board approved the staff recommendation that the Building Level Planning Committee (BLPC) be convened to move forward with the process for repurposing the Education Center as an instructional location, and to align the specific instructional focus with the new Strategic Plan vision that will be determined next spring.
To follow the process please visit the Education Center Reuse site: https://www.apsva.us/education-center-reuse/
On June 30, 2017, the School Board voted to create 500-600 new high school seats at the Education Center.
An instructional analysis team, comprising APS parents, students and staff was established to recommend an instructional focus for the Education Center location, guided by the instructional options identified in ACI’s Annual Report, identifying instructional options (fall 2016), and the Community Questionnaire on School Options.
The analysis team met to complete the following action steps:
Sept. 26, 2017: Identified Program Considerations Definitions for 10 instructional focus options
Oct. 5, 2017: Identified Weighting Criteria
Oct. 10, 2017: Participated in webinar to review the analysis for rating instructional focus options
- Initial community input was received at Engagement Open House on Sat, Sept. 23, 2017.
- The community was invited to participate in a presentation of the instructional options identified by the analysis team, and provide input. The analysis team will use the community’s input to narrow the options of the instructional focus for the Education Center, and make a recommendation to the School Board.
The community meeting took place:
Wed, Oct. 18, 2017, from 7-9 p.m., at the Education Center, rooms 101&102
The meeting was livestreamed and is now available. A Spanish translation recording of the presentation will be made available soon.
Timeline (and Upcoming Meetings)
- September-October 2017: Education Center analysis team meets to discuss instructional program options
- Oct. 18, 2017: Community meeting for input on the analysis for potential instructional uses for the Education Center
- Oct. 20, 2017: Cosechando Sueños Spanish event Resource Fair (5:30-6:30 p.m.)
- Oct. 24, 2017: Spanish Meeting at Kenmore Middle School (7-8:30 p.m.), rooms 90 & 91
- Sat, Oct. 28: Spanish Meeting at Kenmore Middle School (10 a.m.), Library
- Nov. 2, 2017: School Board Information Item on Instructional Focus
- Nov. 14, 2017: School Board Action on Instructional Focus
- Building opens September 2022
Look for updates on other initiatives on the Engage webpage at www.apsva.us/engage