Updated Option A.v2 to be presented at the Nov. 30 School Board Meeting
On November 14, the Superintendent shared his recommendation with the School Board for middle school boundary changes. Since then, the School Board has reviewed the recommendation and has been gathering feedback from the community. As a result, the School Board asked staff to prepare a revised option for tonight’s Public Hearing.
This option moves two planning units, 24100 and 24111, from Jefferson Middle School to the new Middle School at Stratford, bringing the capacity utilization at the new middle school from 90% to 94% in 2019.
Superintendent Recommendation presented on November 14, 2017
On October 25, staff shared two boundary change options with the community, Option A: Boundary Change and Option B: Boundary Change + Immersion moves to Kenmore. Click here to see those previous maps. Based on community feedback and further analysis, staff updated Option A and removed Option B from further discussion.
Staff recommends Updated Option A – Boundary Change for some of the following reasons:
Please note: Estimated % Economically Disadvantaged in future years was recalculated in each table.
Click here to see an overlay of the recommended middle school boundaries and the current elementary and high school boundaries.
Click here for map with street names.
- Creates an attendance zone for the new middle school; estimated to reach 100% capacity in 2021-22
- Alleviates crowding and better balances enrollment at Gunston, Jefferson, Kenmore and Swanson by 2022-23; in addition to the neighborhood school program, Williamsburg has available seats that could be considered for transfers and an optional instructional program in the future
- Results in all middle schools being under 111% capacity by 2022-23
- Aligns with community priorities for proximity by having 55% of middle school students walk to school
- Strengthens efficiency by increasing number of potential walkers
Snapshot of Updated Option A – Boundary Change
|Projected Middle School student population (2022-2023)||6,613|
|Estimated number of students reassigned (2022-2023)||1,545|
|Number of planning units reassigned (total)||84 out of 346|
|Number of planning units reassigned to New Middle School||59 out of 84|
|More than 50% students are in the potential walk zone for 4 schools||Kenmore, Stratford, Swanson and Williamsburg|
|1 school slated to be over 110% capacity in 2022||Swanson – 111%|
|1 school slated to be under 100% capacity in 2022; will provide opportunity in future to make program moves and transfers||Williamsburg – 89%|
Some community members have questions about how APS applied one of the School Board’s policy considerations, demographics.
- APS provides resources for all students in all schools, such as instructional assistance in subject areas, language acquisition support, and attention to special needs.
- At community meetings and online (emails, input forms), the majority of parents expressed a preference for their children to attend middle school closer to home.
- The proximity of some middle school walk zones pose a challenge to creating neighborhood school boundaries that foster more balanced demographics across schools.
- If 8th Graders remain at current school for 2019-2020, there will be a continued need for relocatables at Swanson and Williamsburg for one year and there will be a strain on transportation services
- In addition to a neighborhood school program, possible transfers and option program at Williamsburg could address available seats, enrollment and demographics
- Continued enrollment growth
- Uneven growth in the county
Revisions made to Option A – Boundary Change (shared on Oct 25, 2017)
|Planning Unit||Move from||Move to||Rationale|
|22082||Stratford||Williamsburg||No students impacted; golf course planning unit|
|22083||Stratford||Williamsburg||No students impacted; golf course planning unit|
|15030||Williamsburg||Swanson||Within Swanson potential walk zone|
|15040||Williamsburg||Swanson||Within Swanson potential walk zone|
|15041||Williamsburg||Swanson||Within Swanson potential walk zone|
|15050||Williamsburg||Swanson||Within Swanson potential walk zone|
|15060||Williamsburg||Swanson||Within Swanson potential walk zone|
|15061||Williamsburg||Swanson||Within Swanson potential walk zone|
|15120||Williamsburg||Swanson||Within Swanson potential walk zone|
|36010||Gunston||Kenmore||In previous option, were assigned to Gunston; would be riders to either school|
|36021||Gunston||Kenmore||In previous option, were assigned to Gunston; would be riders to either school|
|36030||Gunston||Kenmore||In previous option, were assigned to Gunston; would be riders to either school|