On December 3, 2020, the School Board approved elementary school boundary adjustments for five current elementary schools: Ashlawn, ASFS, McKinley, Taylor and Tuckahoe, effective for the 2021-22 school year. As part of this process, the School Board adopted grandfathering provisions for students.
The “grandfathering” provision approved by the School Board is available for:
- Students at all schools who are currently in Grade 4 and would like to remain at their current elementary schools for Grade 5 in 2021-22, and
- Current Grade K-4 students in Planning Unit 16061, which was reassigned to McKinley at the Reed site, who would like to continue at Tuckahoe through school year 2022-23.
Students who are eligible to remain at their current school due to grandfathering would still have the option to attend their newly-assigned neighborhood school in 2021-2022. Transportation is not provided to students who elect to remain at their current schools under the grandfathering provision. Students must be enrolled in APS as of Dec. 7, 2020 to be eligible for grandfathering.
Grandfathering for Students for Grade 4 Students – to be completed and returned by Jan. 8, 2021
To be completed for students currently in Grade 4 (who will be in Grade 5 in the 2021-22 school year, who will reside in planning units that have been reassigned to another neighborhood attendance zone for the 2021-22 school year.
Grandfathering for Students in Planning Unit 16061 – to be completed and returned by Jan. 8, 2021
To be completed for students currently in Grade K to 4 who reside in Planning Unit 16061, which has been reassigned to McKinley at the Reed site effective for the 2021-22 school year.
Ways for Families to Return Completed Form, by January 8, 2021, by 4 p.m.
- Download the fillable form and mail the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the form and scan or take a picture of the completed form and email to email@example.com
- For your convenience, parents/guardians may drop off the completed form to the school their children currently attend; there will be a designated box for families to drop off completed applications.
Notification Letters (mailed on Dec. 21, 2020) and Grandfathering Form (due by Jan. 8, 2021)
- To households with 4th grade students whose boundary was changed: English | Spanish | Amharic | Arabic | Mongolian
- Grandfathering Form for Students in Grade 4 whose boundary changed: English | Spanish | Amharic | Arabic | Mongolian
- To households in Planning Unit 16061 whose boundary was changed from Tuckahoe to McKinley at the Reed site: English | Spanish
- Grandfathering Form for Students in Planning Unit 16061: English | Spanish
- To households with grades K-3 students whose boundary was changed: English | Spanish | Amharic | Arabic | Mongolian