Update: On January 10, 2019, the School Board voted unanimously to change the name to Montessori Public School of Arlington.
- Signage for the building, website and other materials will be changed over the summer.
- The new name – Montessori Public School of Arlington – will go into effect at the start of the 2019-20 school year.
On June 7, 2018, the School Board adopted a revised policy for Naming of Facilities Policy describes:
- The criteria for naming facilities
- How APS manages requests to Rename Schools/Facilities
The revised Policy Implementation Procedures (PIP) describes:
- The membership of naming/renaming committees
- The process for the committees
Naming Committee Membership Defined by PIP
- One parent from each of the schools that have had (or may have) their attendance/boundary zone redrawn to create the new attendance/boundary zone.
- Committees for the Montessori school and Wilson site building will be composed of parents, teachers and staff including representatives from AMAC (Montessori) or (HBW PAC and Stratford Program).
- One representative from each civic association whose attendance/boundary zone falls within the newly-established attendance/boundary zone of the school being named.
- Two teachers from each of the schools that will see their attendance/boundary zones redrawn to create the new attendance/boundary zone for the school being named.
- One representative from the community at large who is not affected by the school being named.
- One student who will attend the school (if that building is a high school).
- Principal of the school being named
- One staff liaison from School & Community Relations
Each member is charged with soliciting input from their corresponding affiliated school and neighborhood groups.
What to Expect Throughout the Naming Process
- Meeting schedules will be posted on the Engage section of the APS website
- Interested members of the community may attend meetings to listen
- Each committee member will be charged with soliciting input from their corresponding school, neighborhood or community groups
- Minutes of meetings will be posted on the Engage section of the APS website
- Community input may be solicited via:
- School or Civic group meetings
- PTA meetings
- Input/Surveys From: Students, Parents, Community
- Engage with APS emails
- Other input as received
Participating in Community Engagement Strategies and Activities
Community engagement will be, in part, a responsibility of the committee members to solicit recommendations and input from their corresponding constituent groups. Engagement may include:
- Reach out to the member that is associated to your group to ask questions or share your ideas
- Minutes from the committee meetings will be posted online
- Ask a committee member to talk with your group or share the meeting summaries with your group
- Participate when opportunities arise for the community provide feedback (through surveys or other opportunities
- Share information on your organization’s listserve or email group
- Use the Online Feedback Form on “Engage with APS” – select the initiative from the drop-down list to submit your comments and input (all comments will be shared with the full committee
Timeline for Montessori Program at Henry Naming Process
School Community Engagement
Sept. – Dec. 2018
| Committee Meeting Dates and Topics
Meeting #1 – Tuesday, October 2, 6:30 pm, Montessori Cottage (Ms. Genove’s relocatable), Drew Elementary
TOPICS: Introductions; overview of the process; initial brainstorm; next steps
Meeting #2 – Wednesday, October 17, 6:30 pm, Montessori Cottage at Drew
TOPICS: Review names proposed by various constituent groups; design survey; agree on timeline; assign roles and responsibilities
Meeting #3 – Tuesday, October 30, 6:30 pm, Montessori Cottage at Drew
TOPICS: Review survey data; select name; decide who presents to the School Board
Meeting #4– Monday, December 17, 6:00 pm Montessori Cottage at Drew
TOPICS: Review name recommendation
School Board Meeting Schedule
Aug. – Jan. 2019
SCR Staff Liaison & Principal Team
|Dulce Carrillo, School and Community Relations Liaison||Dulce.Carrillo@apsva.us|