Thank you for your interest in the Extended Day Program. Registration has opened for families whose children were enrolled as of February 3, 2020. Please use the link below to direct you to the registration process. After submitting registration information, you will receive a confirmation email. Registration fees will be posted to your account upon your child’s enrollment.
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic all offices of the Arlington Public Schools are closed. However, your questions and concerns are important to us. Please send us an email at email@example.com We will respond to you as soon as possible.
Please Click Here for Information about Extended Day Registration for the 2020-2021 School Year and Summer 2020
Extended Day Fees
Due to the school closure, Extended Day is not able to accept payments at this time. When this issue is resolved, Extended Day will announce a date by which all accounts must be current. At that time, registration fees and outstanding balances on accounts must be paid in full or the child’s enrollment in the program will be suspended.
The Extended Day Program, which includes the middle school Check-In programs, plays a critical role in the development of young people’s social, emotional and academic skills, with over 400 child care professionals working daily to meet the individual needs of each child and the expectations of every family.
Extended Day provides a safe, enriching and fun environment before and after school each day for over 4,000 children. It also operates during the summer in conjunction with the APS Summer School Program.
An integral part of the Arlington community, Extended Day supports the educational mission of APS by:
- Offering daily opportunities for children to participate in asset-building activities and experiences
- Instilling feelings of value, competence and confidence in each child
- Building positive relationships with children, families and the community
- Valuing the cultural diversity of the students
- Providing a high level of customer service to meet the needs of families
- Hiring and training qualified and experienced staff
The Arlington Public Schools Extended Day programs operate exempt from state licensure, per VA Code. However, the Extended Day programs comply with state licensing standards and are monitored by the Extended Day Central Office, which conducts at least two monitoring visits annually. There is no direct oversight by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
The Extended Day Program plays a critical role in the development of young people’s social and academic skills and experiences. Cognitive and social competencies are enhanced through the building of positive relationships and participation in a wide variety of activities, including games, art, drama, cooking, science, literacy, recreation and other projects and events. The major services provided include:
- Before school child care in 23 elementary schools and the Stratford Program (opens at 7 a.m.)
- After school child care in 23 elementary schools, six middle schools (Gunston, Hamm, Jefferson, Kenmore, Swanson, and Williamsburg) and the Shriver Program (closes at 6 p.m.)
- Services to meet the individual needs of children
- Daily asset-building activities and events
- Daily homework support
- Child care services for children attending summer school
- Convenient online services, including registration, payments and access to family account information
- On-going staff development