|Click here to access your Extended Day Family Account|
Online registration for Extended Day Summer School 2017 and 2017-18 school year will open on Sat, April 1 at 3 p.m. Registration assistance will be available in the Extended Day Central Office (2110 Washington Blvd) from 3 – 6 p.m. on April 1.
The Extended Day Program, which includes the middle school Check-In programs, plays a critical role in the development of young people’s social, emotional and academic skills, with over 400 child care professionals working daily to meet the individual needs of each child and the expectations of every family.
Extended Day provides a safe, enriching and fun environment before and after school each day for over 4,000 children. It also operates during the summer in conjunction with the APS Summer School Program.
An integral part of the Arlington community, Extended Day supports the educational mission of APS by:
- Offering daily opportunities for children to participate in asset-building activities and experiences
- Instilling feelings of value, competence and confidence in each child
- Building positive relationships with children, families and the community
- Valuing the cultural diversity of the students
- Providing a high level of customer service to meet the needs of families
- Hiring and training qualified and experienced staff
The Extended Day Program is operated under the Department of Finance and Management Services and is licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services. Licensing standards include requirements for staff qualifications, adult-to-child ratios, and programmatic and administrative procedures and expectations. The program is funded through participation fees and a contribution from Arlington County. The Code of Virginia prohibits school funds from being used for child care programs.
The Extended Day Program plays a critical role in the development of young people’s social and academic skills and experiences. Cognitive and social competencies are enhanced through the building of positive relationships and participation in a wide variety of activities, including games, art, drama, cooking, science, literacy, recreation and other projects and events. The major services provided include:
- Before school child care in 22 elementary schools and the Stratford Program (opens at 7 a.m.)
- After school child care in 22 elementary schools, five middle schools and the Stratford Program (closes at 6 p.m.)
- Services to meet the individual needs of children
- Daily asset-building activities and events
- Daily homework support
- Child care services for children attending summer school (Extended Day Summer School Information)
- Convenient online services, including registration, payments and access to family account information
- On-going staff development