New Registration Process
2019-2020 Extended Day Enrollment Lottery
After a review of the registrations that were submitted between April 1st and May 15th, a lottery for enrollment will be conducted for the following schools: Arlington Science Focus, Ashlawn, Claremont, and Glebe.
The lottery will be held Friday, May 24th in room 454 in the Syphax Education Building (2110 Washington Blvd., Arlington, VA 22204). Please note that lottery results will not be available the day of the lottery. Families will be enrolled of their enrollment status by June 1st.
For capacity and registration data please visit the School Year Current Capacity Information page.
Click the appropriate button below to register.
Families may submit registration information anytime between April 1 – May 15, for participation in the 2019 Summer Program and the 2019-20 School Year. All registrations received between April 1–May 15 will be considered equally.
- At schools that have enough slots for all registrations received, all children registered by May 15 will be enrolled.
- At schools that receive more registrations than slots available, all children registered by May 15 will be entered into a random, double-blind lottery.
- Summer School Extended Day does not have waitlists.
- March 4 News Release
- Frequently Asked Questions
Please Note: In recent years, the following schools have reached capacity, resulting in waitlists: Abingdon, Arlington Science Focus, Ashlawn, Claremont, Glebe, Henry, Key, McKinley and Tuckahoe
Why change the registration process?
Ease Process for Families: We understand that the stress of being online early to register was a major imposition for many families and often led to system “crashes” because so many people tried to access the system at the same time. This new process will allow everyone to register anytime within the six-week period and all will now have the same opportunity for enrollment.
Improve Access: The Extended Day open registration period, from April 1 – May 15, improves access to the enrollment process. All families will have the same opportunity to register, regardless of the time registration opens, access to computers, work schedules and other extenuating factors. The “first-come, first-served” process disadvantages some families who are unable to be online in the first minutes of the registration period.
Respond to Enrollment Increase: Extended Day enrollment has increased significantly over the past 10 years—from about 2,600 to over 4,300—resulting in waitlists for eight of our 29 programs in recent years. The new process will help manage the increased demand for Extended Day and provide more convenient and equitable access.
Under the new plan:
- No enrollment decisions will be made until after May 15.
- For schools where the number of registrations exceed the number of slots available, a random, double-blind lottery will be held. The lottery will take place on Friday, May 24, 2019 at the Syphax Education Center at 9 a.m. The lottery is open to the public.
- Children who are not enrolled will be placed on the waitlist in the order of their lottery numbers.
- Children registered after May 15 will be enrolled if the school has not reached capacity, or placed at the end of the school’s waitlist if slots are not available.
- Enrollment and capacity information for each school will be posted periodically on the Extended Day website.
- Families who are applying for one of the elementary option schools should wait to register for Extended Day until after May 1 when they will learn about the status of their option school application.
Registration is conducted online using the buttons at the top or bottom of this page.
For information regarding fees or payment please click on the links below:
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Extended Day Central Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 228-6069.