The purpose for offering language services is to facilitate and increase meaningful communication and access to school programs, curriculum, activities, and educational opportunities for families and students. APS values the importance of communication between parents and schools. We want parents and students to know about and fully understand the educational opportunities that Arlington offers and to benefit from them.
About Interpretation and Translation Services
The Arlington Public Schools provides written language translation and oral interpretation services from and into English and the five main languages spoken by our students and families: Spanish, Amharic, Arabic, Mongolian and Bengali. These services are customarily provided during the following events:
Interpretation services for
- Parent-teacher conferences
- Special education conferences
- School meetings
- Other school functions such as Kindergarten, Middle School and High School Information Nights
- A language line is also available to schools.
Translation Services for
- The Office of the Superintendent, the Executive Leadership Team, Administrators, Program and Curriculum Directors, Coordinators and Specialists.
- Professional Development and resources for school interpreters and translators, publication of the English-Spanish Glossary and glossaries into the other top languages and resources.
Please allow 7 work days for translations; lengthy documents may require more time. For detailed information, please click on the Quick Guide to Language Access Services for APS below.
“Supporting communication between families and schools”
Request translations by clicking the APS LSRC Document Translation Requests link and if necessary enter your APS email address and password. Please complete all fields.
- Name of requester
- Telephone of the requester
- Name of school or office
- Source Language
- Language/s requested
- Due date requested (allow 7 work days)
- Attach MS Word Document for translation
Contact Stella Martinez at 703-228-7665 or firstname.lastname@example.org, an answer will be provided within the same day.
Lengthy translations require more time; please allow more than 7 work days, and contact Stella Martinez when you begin planning.
Please place requests for oral interpretation services online at least 7 business days before needed. For simultaneous interpretations or other interpretations requiring multiple languages and/or multiple interpreters, please contact the LSRC 14 work days before the event.
- Requests for interpreters must be entered online (Go to APS website at Language Services Registration Center (LSRC) → Language Services → REQUEST FOR SERVICE (General Use))
- To request equipment for simultaneous interpretation, click here
Requests for Interpreters for APS biannual Parent-Teacher Conferences must also be entered online at the APS website. The website link used to make these requests is only available and open for a window of time around the biannual conferences.
Contact Tuguldur Batmunkh at 703-228-8010 or email@example.com.
Interpreter Service Cancellation: To cancel an Interpreter Service, please call Juana Luna (firstname.lastname@example.org) at (703) 228-7663; or Tuguldur Batmunkh (email@example.com) at (703) 228-8010, at least 24 hours of the scheduled meeting.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT LANGUAGE SERVICES
Who Can Use the APS Language Services?
Interpretation and translation services are available to APS staff for the benefit of parents, families and students.
How Can APS Staff Access Language Services?
Contact the corresponding persons as indicated above.
How Long Does it Take to Receive Language Services?
The processing time for the interpretation requests depends on a variety of factors, such as but not limited to type of meeting, type of interpretation and language etc,. Please be sure to complete every field of the submission form. In case of emergencies, the service will be provided as soon as possible.