The purpose for offering language services is to facilitate and increase meaningful communication and access to school programs, curriculum, activities, and educational opportunities for families and students. APS values the importance of communication between parents and schools. We want parents and students to know about and fully understand the educational opportunities that Arlington offers and to benefit from them.
About Interpretation and Translation Services
The Arlington Public Schools provides written language translation and oral interpretation services from and into English and the five main languages spoken by our students and families: Spanish, Amharic, Arabic, Mongolian and Bengali. These services are customarily provided during the following events:
Interpretation services for
- Parent-teacher conferences
- Special education conferences
- School meetings
- Other school functions such as Kindergarten, Middle School and High School Information Nights
- A language line is also available to schools.
Translation Services for
- The Office of the Superintendent, the Executive Leadership Team, Administrators, Program and Curriculum Directors, Coordinators and Specialists.
- Professional Development and resources for school interpreters and translators, publication of the English-Spanish Glossary and glossaries into the other top languages and resources.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT LANGUAGE SERVICES
How Can APS Staff Access Language Services?
Contact the corresponding persons at your schools/ offices or contact the LSRC here.
How Long Does it Take to Receive Language Services?
The processing time for the interpretation requests depends on a variety of factors, such as but not limited to type of meeting, type of interpretation and language etc,. Please be sure to complete every field of the submission form. In case of emergencies, the service will be provided as soon as possible.