Plant Operations is responsible for managing the daily cleaning operations of 4.7 million square feet of building space, in addition to the outside grounds. Plant Operations is also responsible for the acquisition and coordination of various goods and services to maintain school facilities, as well as managing operational expenditures and working closely with Maintenance to coordinate Major Maintenance/Minor Construction capital projects and the Design and Construction Department on building specifications and post-renovation clean-up.
Specific areas include:
- writing specifications for cleaning supplies and equipment,
- providing uniforms, shoes, boots and other safety equipment for custodial staff,
- managing the the recycling program for all Arlington Public Schools sites,
- managing the mowing contract for Arlington Public Schools,
- reviewing Design and Construction plan drawings,
- purchasing indoor and outdoor custodial equipment for all locations,
- inspecting buildings for cleanliness,
- consulting with building supervisors on a wide range of issues,
- providing pest control services,
- interviewing and assisting in the hiring of custodial staff,
- training current and new custodial staff,
- assist with clean-up for post-construction/renovation and mechanical emergencies.
To reach the Operations department, please call 703-228-7732.