1. APS Music Education Program Receives National Recognition for the Sixth Year in a Row
APS has been honored with the Best Communities for Music Education designation from The NAMM Foundation for its outstanding commitment to music education. The designation is awarded to districts that demonstrate outstanding achievement to provide music access and education to all students. Read the full release on our website.
2. Say Thank You: Next Week’s Staff Recognitions
Teacher Appreciation Week (May 2-6) – We look forward to the chance to thank our wonderful teachers next week for Teacher Appreciation Week! Please join us next week in thanking them for all they do! Use #ThankAPSTeachers on social media.
School Nurses Day (May 4) – Our nurses have been on the front line during the pandemic. Let’s take a moment to thank them on Wed, May 4.
School Lunch Hero Day (May 6) – Our cafeteria workers play a crucial role in keeping our students fed with delicious and nutritious meals. Take a moment to thank them on Fri, May 6.
3. Join the 2022 Bike, Walk and Roll to School Day Celebration on Wed, May 4
To promote the great health, environmental, community-building and transportation benefits of biking, walking and rolling to school, Arlington Public Schools will take part in Bike, Walk and Roll to School Day 2022 on Wed, May 4. Help build momentum while you plan, and then tweet/share your story when the big day rolls around, with our 2022 hashtag #APSBike2SchoolDay!
4. Mental Health and Wellness Fairs
Two important mental health fairs took place this week. At the Arlington Career Center’s evening Wellness Fair, students shared wonderful projects and skills that promote wellness in the community. H-B Woodlawn’s daytime fair hosted over 14 community-based service providers, with student volunteers providing information to their classmates. Students visited different tables to learn about the mental health resources available, from healthy nutrition to addiction and suicide prevention. Save the date for another Mental Health Resource Fair to launch virtually on May 25!
5. Celebrating Extended Day Staff & Administrative Assistants
This week, APS celebrated its administrative assistants and Extended Day staff.
– This week is National Afterschool Professionals Appreciation Week. APS is proud to celebrate the Extended Day Program staff. Extended Day staff plays a critical role in the development of students’ social, emotional and academic skills.
– Wednesday was also Administrative Professionals Day. These individuals from around the school division work tirelessly to ensure APS carries out its mission, vision and values. View the photo gallery of some of our administrative assistants in action on our website.
Other News & Notes
- Reminder – Monday is a holiday (no school) as we will celebrate Eid. Enjoy the long weekend!
- Next Month – Asian American Heritage MonthSchool Board Appointments: Ashlawn Elementary School, Swanson Middle School, Interim Chief Academic Officer
- In-School COVID Testing Schedule Around the Holiday Next Week, May 2-6
- School Board Member Cristina Diaz-Torres to Host Virtual Open Office Hours on Tue, May 3
- Summary of April 28 School Board Meeting