Community Invited to One of Two Getting Started Meetings
APS will host two community meetings to introduce the process for resetting all middle school boundaries.
The “Getting Started” meetings will be held on:
- Mon, Oct. 2 from 7-9 p.m. at Yorktown High School (This meeting will be livestreamed); and
- Wed, Oct. 4 from 7-9 p.m. at Kenmore Middle School
Both meetings will be exactly the same so community members need to only attend one meeting.
A new middle school is opening in 2019 at the Stratford site (currently the site of H-B Woodlawn and Stratford programs). The new boundaries will be established to:
- Create a boundary for the new middle school at Stratford;
- Relieve crowding at some schools, notably Swanson and Williamsburg; and
- Balance enrollment among all six middle schools.
This will impact students who are currently in grades 4, 5 and 6. In 2019, when the boundary takes effect, these students will be entering grades 6, 7 and 8.
For more information, visit www.apsva.us/engage. To view the School Board’s Sep. 12 work session on the Middle School Boundaries Process, visit https://www.apsva.us/post/school-board-work-session-held-discuss-upcoming-middle-school-boundary-process/.