First Day of School Tue, Sept. 5
As the summer break comes to an end, APS wants to remind families of some important dates.
Labor Day Schedule:
Arlington Public Schools and administrative offices will be closed on Mon, Sept. 4 in observance of Labor Day.
Start of the 2017-18 School Year:
The first day of school is Tue, Sept. 5. The Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) program and PreK special education classes begin Wed, Sept. 6. Share your first day photos with us on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #APSBack2School.
School times are as follows:
- Elementary School
8:00 a.m. – 2:41 p.m.: Abingdon, Campbell, Carlin Springs and Claremont
8:25 a.m. – 3:06 p.m.: Arlington Traditional, Barrett, Long Branch and Randolph
9:00 a.m. – 3:41 p.m.: Arlington Science Focus, Ashlawn, Barcroft, Discovery, Drew, Glebe, Henry, Hoffman-Boston, Jamestown, Key, McKinley, Nottingham, Oakridge, Taylor and Tuckahoe
- Middle School: 7:50 a.m. – 2:24 p.m.
- High School: 8:19 a.m. – 3:01 p.m.
- H-B Woodlawn Secondary: 9:24 a.m. – 4:06 p.m.
- Stratford Program: 9:15 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Free and Reduced Price Lunch Applications
The free and reduced price lunch application is available online at https://www.apsva.us/food-and-nutrition-services/free-and-reduced-applications/.
As we prepare for students to return to school, we want to remind the community to slow down in school zones, watch out for student walkers and bikers, and be aware of bus stops in your neighborhood. We continue to ask families and our staff to remind students to take safety precautions as well, including:
- Practice route to school/bus stop
- Walk with friends
- Avoid headphones & cell phones
- Wear proper clothing & equipment for biking
- Be visible to drivers
- Watch for hazards
- Report ANY incident to a trusted adult
Stop Arm Cameras
Motorists are reminded that passing a school bus with its stop-arm camera deployed is illegal. A number of APS buses are outfitted with stop-arm cameras. Any driver caught passing a bus with the stop-arm deployed is subject to a $250 fine. More information about stop-arm cameras is available online.
Mark Your Calendars for Back-to-School Events
- Elementary Back-to-School Night: Sept. 13
- H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program Back-to-School Night: Sept. 14
- Career Center Back-to-School Breakfast: Sept. 23
- High School Back-to-School Night: Sept. 27
- Middle School Back-to-School Night: Sept. 28
Other Important Dates
- Oct. 17 – College Fair, Wakefield High School, 6-8 p.m.
- Oct. 23 – Middle School Information Night, Washington-Lee High School, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 30 – High School Information Night, Washington-Lee High School, 7 p.m.
- Jan. 22 – Kindergarten Information Night, Washington-Lee High School, 7 p.m.
- Feb. 9 – Summer Activities Fair, Jefferson Community Center, 6-8 p.m.
Click here for the complete 2017-18 school year calendar.