- On-time Graduation rate was 93%, and 66% of graduates earned an advanced diploma
- The graduation rate for the three comprehensive high schools was 96%, of which 71% earned an advanced diploma
The APS On-Time Graduation Rate (OGR) for the Class of 2020 was 93%, (1,644 students), remaining consistently high with past years’ performance. In 2020, 66% of APS students who graduated earned an Advanced Studies or IB diploma, and 77% of graduates responding to a survey reported that they plan to continue their education with a post-secondary experience.
“I want to congratulate the Class of 2020 on this accomplishment, especially with the pandemic disrupting the final chapter of their senior year. It was a tough year on students, especially seniors, who rose above the challenges and showed their resiliency,” said Superintendent Dr. Francisco Durán. “I commend our teachers and staff for supporting students and making sure that they completed their work to graduate.”
For those APS students in the 2020 cohort who attended Wakefield, Washington-Liberty, or Yorktown in their last year of high school, the graduation rate was 96%. Of these students, 71% earned an Advanced Studies or IB diploma. The OGR reflects the percentage of students who earned a Board of Education-approved diploma within four years of entering high school for the first time. The OGR increased by more than eight percentage points from 85% in 2009 to 93% in 2020. APS saw graduation rate increases among Black students and English Learners (ELs). In addition, the percentage of graduates earning an advanced diploma increased from previous year for ELs, Hispanic students, Economically Disadvantaged students, Students with Disabilities, and Asian students.
VDOE Release and Definitions
- The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) released 2020 On-Time Graduation and Dropout Rates
- Both rates are based on the cohort of students who first entered Grade 9 during the 2016-17 school year:
- On-time graduates are those who earned a Virginia Board of Education-approved diploma.*
- Dropouts reflect the students who dropped out or whose status is undetermined.
Additional Resources Online
High school cohort reports for schools, school divisions and the commonwealth are available for viewing and downloading on the VDOE website.
- Table 1: APS Cohort On-time Graduation and Dropout Rates
- Table 2: APS Diploma Rates Among APS Graduates
- Table 3: 2020 On-time Graduation and Dropout Rates by School
*Advanced Studies Diplomas include International Baccalaureate Diplomas earned by students in the IB program at Washington-Liberty High School. Modified Standard Diplomas and Special Diplomas are available only to students with disabilities and, beginning with the Grade 9 class in 2013-14, will no longer be offered.