Arlington Public Schools is accepting applications from members of the Washington-Lee community who are interested in serving on the Renaming Committee. Current Washington-Lee students, parents and staff, as well as W-L alumni and neighboring civic association members who are interested in serving on the committee are asked to complete the online form.
In addition to the Principal, membership for the committee will include:
- Three parent/family representatives of the school being re-named
- Three teacher/staff representative of the school being re-named
- One student for each grade level (if the building being renamed is a high school)
- One representative from each of the four civic associations that are closest to the school being re-named
- In the case of a high school, four alumni, each representing a different decade for the school’s graduating classes, and who are current residents of Arlington County
- One representative from the Arlington Historical Society who is not an alumni or parent of a current student for the school to be renamed.
- A staff liaison and facilitator (both non-voting)
The Renaming Committee will meet weekday evenings this fall (September through November) to develop a recommendation for a new name for Washington-Lee High School to be presented to the School Board in December.All applications will be considered and applicants will be selected to provide a balance of diverse members on the committee. Because APS expects to receive more applicants than spaces available on the committee, all applicants will be informed about other opportunities to share ideas with the committee. Information will also be posted regularly throughout the process this fall at www.apsva.us/engage.
Applications will be accepted through Sat, Aug. 18, 2018, and the proposed members will be notified by Tue, Sept. 4, 2018 and will be presented for approval by the School Board on Thu, Sept. 6, 2018.