A number of students were recently selected to state-wide honors music groups.
All Virginia Jazz Band and Jazz Ensemble
Three APS high school students were accepted into the All-Virginia Jazz Band and Jazz Ensemble. A performance will be given at the Virginia Music Educators Association Conference in Norfolk on Thu, Nov. 18 with two nationally acclaimed guest conductors, Daniel Clarke (jazz band) and Ted Nash (jazz ensemble). These prestigious ensembles are only available to approximately 40 students around the state who are accepted into one of the two ensembles.
- Olivia Van Hoey, bass, jazz band – H-B Woodlawn Secondary
- Henry Price, trombone, jazz ensemble- Washington-Liberty High School
- Zachary Levin, tenor saxophone, jazz ensemble- Yorktown High School
- Tyler Pons, drum set, jazz ensemble- Yorktown High School
APS Seniors Named to Virginia Honor Choir
Three APS high school seniors were selected as members into the 2021 Virginia Music Educators Association (VMEA) Senior Honor Choir. Students will perform at the Virginia Music Educators Association’s convention in Norfolk on Sat, Nov. 20.The choir is open only to the top 125 singers from around Virginia and is the highest honor a choir student can attain during his or her high school career. Auditions were open to seniors enrolled in choral programs at their respective schools.
- Charlotte Mulligan– H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program
- Mary Edith Plunkett – H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program
- Lauren Smith- Wakefield High School
Northern Virginia Senior Regional Orchestra
Three APS high school students were accepted into the Northern Virginia Senior Regional Orchestra that will be performing on Sat, Nov. 13 at Westfield High School. The orchestra is one of four regional orchestras in the state where approximately 110 strings wind and percussion players are accepted via a rigorous audition that takes place in September. The top players of each instrumental section are then eligible to audition for the All-Virginia Band and Orchestra later in the school year.
- Solange Gallina, viola; and Christopher Tate, cello – Washington-Liberty High School
- Mark McNulty, bass – Wakefield High School