During last night’s meeting, the School Board received a presentation of the Superintendent’s Recommendation for Elementary School Boundary Changes. The presentation reviewed the rationale for boundary changes and highlighted Boundary Map Proposal #6, which reassigns 696 students. Staff also noted the remaining steps in the process, including:
- Public Hearing on November 27
- Grandfathering Community Questionnaire on November 13
- Board Action on December 6 (this meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m.)
The full presentation is available on BoardDocs.
- Drew Deed of Resubdivision, Exchange Agreement and Deed of Lease – The Board approved the proposed Deed of Resubdivision and Boundary Line Adjustment of the Drew Model School Property, and the Exchange of Property Agreement and Deed of Lease with Arlington County. Read more here.
- Solar Photovoltaic Rooftop System Power Purchase Agreement for Five Schools – The School Board approved the proposed contract award for the Solar Photovoltaic Rooftop System Power purchase agreement, for future installation at five initial sites: Fleet Elementary, Jefferson Middle School, Kenmore Middle School, Tuckahoe Elementary and Washington-Lee High School. The new system reflects the APS commitment to build and operate energy efficient facilities. Read more here.
OTHER INFORMATION ITEMS:
In addition to the Superintendent’s recommendation for elementary school boundary changes, the Board also received the following updates:
- Legislative Package – The Board discussed the proposed legislative and funding issues and initiatives that will be supported by the Board during the 2019 session of the Virginia General Assembly. Read more here.
- Middle and High School Program of Studies – The Board received an update on the 2019-20 APS Secondary Programs and key focus areas, which support inclusion, excellence and innovation, while aligning to the Virginia Department of Education Standards of Learning and Graduation Requirements. Read more here
- Transfer of Unspent Capital Project Funds to Capital Reserve – Staff presented the savings that has been realized from recent capital construction projects based on effective project and financial management. The Superintendent recommended that $1,892,810.10 in remaining funds from the closed capital constructions projects be transferred to the Capital Reserve. Read more here.
The School Board recognized the APS network of seven Substance Abuse Counselors and their collaboration with School Resource Officers (SROs) across the school division and around National Red Ribbon Week in October, which raises awareness of the substance abuse. Jennifer Sexton, APS substance abuse counselor, and Arlington County Police Department Officer Jackie Pagan described the program and highlighted the work of APS and SROs.The School Board also recognized Elizabeth Burgos, Washington-Lee Resource Teacher for the Gifted, for being named Outstanding Gifted Teacher of the Year for Region 4 of Virginia.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
The School Board will hold a Public Hearing on the Elementary School Boundary Changes on Tuesday, November 27, and will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thursday, November 29 at 6 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.