The School Board recognized the winners of 2022 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Literary and Visual Arts Contest last night. Watch this video of students talking about their winning entries.
At the Feb. 17 School Board meeting, the Superintendent presented updates to the APS mask policy and guidance moving forward, based on the current CDC guidance and health metrics. The mask requirement remains in place at this time based on the level of transmission in Arlington. Beginning March 1, in accordance with Senate Bill 739, families who wish for their students not to wear a mask in school will be able to opt out. Additional details will be communicated next week.
The School Board approved the following items:
- Strategic Plan Tuning & Revisions to School Board Policy A-6.30 Development and Assessment of Strategic Plan
- Changes to the Virtual Learning Program
The School Board discussed the following items:
- FY 2022 Mid-Year Fiscal Monitoring Report and Recommendation for a One-Time Employee Bonus Payment
- Fall 2022 Elementary Boundary Process Update
- Revisions to School Board Policies J- 5.4 Leaving School Grounds, J- 6.3.6 Prohibited Substance Use, J- 6.3.8 No Tobacco Policy, J- 6.7 Search and Seizure, J- 7.4 Discipline, K- 7.3 No Smoking Policy, and M-1 Reporting Serious Incidents
Next School Board Meeting:
The School Board will hold its next regular meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thu., Feb. 24 at 7 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
Masks are required in Board Meetings until further notice.
For More Information:
Community members who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-6015.School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon Fios Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.