1. February Recognitions, Celebrations and Holidays
February is full of recognitions and celebrations. APS will observe the following:
– Black History Month and Career
– Technical Education Month
– Feb. 6-10 – National School Counseling Week
– Feb. 8 – Early Release; Countywide Professional Learning Day for Staff
– Feb. 8 – Crossing Guard Appreciation Day
– Feb. 14-18 – Virginia Kindness Week & School Board Clerk Appreciation Week
– Feb. 20 – No School – Presidents Day
– Feb. 22 – School Bus Driver Appreciation Day
2. Kindergarten, PreK Options and Registration
Registration for the 2023-24 school year for all new APS students opens on Feb. 1.The application window for PreK and elementary option schools is Feb. 1 to April 17. Beginning Jan. 30, check out a series of video presentations to learn about Kindergarten at APS, available PreK programs and elementary option schools.
3. The Summer Activities Fair is Coming Soon
The Summer Activities Fair is back! Join us on Thu, Feb. 16 from 6 – 8 p.m. at Kenmore Middle School. The fair is free to attend and presents a wide range of local and regional opportunities for students of all ages in academic, cultural, outdoor adventure, sports, exploration and virtual activities. Various programs also offer volunteer and job opportunities for teens!
4. APS Announces 2023 All-District Band Results
Several APS students were selected for the Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors’ Association (VBODA) District 12 Honors Bands. These students will represent their schools during the All-District Band Event next week. Congratulations to these students!
5. Tweet All About it! Barcroft Students Study Birds
Barcroft Elementary School participated in an interdisciplinary unit on migratory birds. In conjunction with Education Specialists at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo, students learned about local songbirds, then studied the birds’ migratory journey to Central and South America. Students recorded their research, illustrated books and created models in art class. The Smithsonian collected student material and sent it to partner schools in Panama and Costa Rico, where the students had studied the same migratory birds.
Other News & Notes
Mon, Jan 30: No School for Students (Grade Prep Day)
Arlington Community Foundation Creates Braylon Meade Memorial Scholarship
APS is Hosting Several Job Fairs in February. Help us Spread the Word!
The Arlington School Board’s February schedule of Board Meetings, Work Sessions, and Advisory Council and Committee Meetings is now available