1. Wishing You a Wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday
Next week will be a short week as all schools and offices are closed Wed, Nov. 24 through Fri, Nov. 26. APS wishes everyone an enjoyable, safe and healthy holiday break. The Friday 5 will resume on Fri, Dec. 3 and is moving to a biweekly format.
2. The 2022 MLK Literary and Visual Arts Contest is Open
Does your student love to write essays or poems, draw, sculpt or take photographs? APS is seeking entries for the annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Literary and Visual Arts Contest. Students are asked to submit artwork or writing that incorporates a quote from Dr. King and represents how they can support Dr. King’s vision and inspire a more equitable, inclusive, and peaceful Virginia. Entries are due by 5 p.m., Thu, Dec. 16. Learn more
3. Crosswalks: Secondary Literacy
There is a lot of great work happening in literacy in middle and high schools! View the next video in the Crosswalks series showing how Wakefield High School teachers are working with students on English content, reading and writing. Thank you to Wakefield English teachers David Sharp, Fabian Tomala, Muktaru Jalloh, Doug Burns, Celeste El Hashem, Diana Dempsey, and Secondary English Language Arts Specialist Lauren Johnson, for sharing their expertise.
4. Weather Procedures: Snow Days Return for 2021-22 School Year
APS has announced updates to our inclement weather procedures, including up to six days built into the current calendar for traditional snow days, and a series of closure codes to help explain how the weather has affected schools and activities. Families should have a plan in place in the event of an APS closure, delay or early dismissal due to weather. To learn about the weather codes and how APS determines and announces decisions, visit the APS website.
5. Teacher of the Year Nomination Process Is Open
The nomination process for Teacher and Principal of the Year is open through December 8. There are many beloved teachers and administrators in APS, and this is one way to recognize individuals who are making a difference! The nominations are open to students, staff and families.
Other News & Notes
- Free COVID-19 Vaccines are now available for students ages 5-11. Learn More
- APS & ACPD Memorandum of Understanding Available for Public Comment Until Nov. 23
- School Board Public Hearing on the Proposed Adjustments to Boundaries and Elementary Immersion Feeder Schools for the 2022-23 School Year
- December Schedule of Board Meetings, Work Sessions, and Advisory Council and Committee Meetings
- Approved “School Slow Zones” Protects Students and Other Travelers