The first day of school is just around the corner, and APS is ready to welcome all students and families for a great year of learning. We start back to school on Tuesday, September 3 for schools following the traditional academic calendar. Barcroft follows a modified calendar so they are already in session (welcome back!). To help new and returning APS families get ready, we have provided a few quick tips and reminders below. Staff at all our schools are eager and excited to help you with the transition back to school as well. See you soon!
New to APS?
- Register your child now before the start of school, if you haven’t already. This helps our schools plan for your child’s arrival and manage staffing and resources effectively.
- Visit your child’s school website for more information about your school community and to stay up-to-date
Getting Ready – Open Houses and Supplies
- Mark your calendar for school open houses at the end of August! Most open houses are on Thursday and Friday, August 29-30.
- Click here for a full list of Open Houses by school, or check your school’s website for dates and times.
- Once school starts, there are also Back to School Nights for every school in September.
Those are listed here:
- September 11 Elementary Back-to-School Night
- September 12 H-B Woodlawn Back-to-School Night
- September 12 Career Center/Tech Back-to-School Night
- September 17 Arlington Community High School & Langston Open House
- September 19 Middle School Back-to-School Night
- September 25 High School Back-to-School Night
- October 10 Langston Back-to-School Night
- Review the School Supply List provided on your school’s website and ensure those items are gathered in advance and ready to go for the first day!
Online First Day Packet Forms via NEW Annual Online Verification Process
- Families can get ready for the start of school by activating their ParentVUE account and ensuring they are able to log into their account so they can complete the Annual Online Verification Process (AOVP) that replaced the printed First Day Packet.
- APS is now using ParentVUE and the new verification process in place of paper forms to maintain accurate, up-to-date information for every child enrolled in our schools.
- All families will be able to verify their information through AOVP starting on August 26.
Health Forms and Immunizations
- Ensure your child has all necessary forms and immunizations completed:
- New elementary students must have a completed Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form and Tuberculosis Screening
- New for this year, rising sixth graders are NOT required to have a Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap) vaccination before the start of school, so there is no action needed for sixth grade families.
- If you are new to APS and have a rising seventh grade student, you will need to ensure your child’s immunizations are complete.
- Relay any allergy or other specific student medication information to the Health Office at your child’s school before the school year starts
- Review the planning map for your school to determine if your student is eligible for bus transportation
- Students eligible for bus transportation will receive school bus route information the last week of August
- Letters will be mailed to all eligible families on August 22
- If you have questions once you receive your letter, the Transportation Services call center is available at 703-228-8670
- Visit Transportation’s FAQ for common questions
- Review safety tips for walking to school here
- Learn about the student iRide card, which provides discounted fare for students on Arlington Transit (ART) buses
Planning for Extended Day and the Middle School Check-In Programs
- Access your Extended Day account to review your information here (registered families received payment and billing information from the Extended Day Central Office)
- If you have registered, but not received confirmation of your child’s enrollment status, please contact the Extended Day Central Office.
- Children registered after August 15th will not be able to start attending on the first day of school.
- If you have questions about Extended Day or Check In, contact the Extended Day office or view the contact directory to engage your school’s Extended Day staff
- Individual schools will also provide information about Extended Day on site.
- Visit the Extended Day website to register (registration began on May 1 and is ongoing)
Nutrition at School – School Meals and Nutrition Information
- View the breakfast and lunch menus for your child’s school
- Set up and add money to your child’s My School Bucks account
- Complete the free and reduced lunch application online if you qualify for this service. This is also available as part of the Annual Online Verification Process on ParentVUE.
- For questions and contact information please visit the Food and Nutrition Services website
Mark Your Calendars
- Although the school year hasn’t started for most of us, many families are already making plans for upcoming holidays and breaks later this year. Be sure to check the 2019-20 APS Calendar online.
- The calendar lists the days when APS has scheduled parent conferences, staff professional learning or grade preparation days when there will be no school or early release. Take a look now and begin to plan the year ahead.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Read about the latest news and events every Friday via our Friday 5 Newsletter
- Read about key initiatives on Engage with APS!
- Receive alerts and updates through the School Talk instant message and email system (parents/guardians of newly registered students will begin receiving these messages in the new year)
- Opt in for text alerts! Make sure your school has your cell phone in their database and Text the word YES to 67587 to opt in.