Join a Community Forum on Superintendent Search—Jan. 22 and Jan. 25
Community members are invited to attend a community forum to share their input on the desired characteristics for a permanent Superintendent. The forums will be held on Jan. 22 and Jan. 25 as follows:
- 22, 7 p.m. (Spanish): Kenmore Middle School, 200 S. Carlin Springs Road
- 22 at 7 p.m.: Washington-Liberty High School, 1301 N. Stafford Street
- 25 at 10 a.m.: Wakefield High School, 1325 S. Dinwiddie Street
- 25 at 10 a.m.: Dorothy Hamm Middle School, 4100 Vacation Lane
For more information and a full schedule of forums and focus groups, visit the Superintendent Search page on APS Engage.
Participate in Jan. 24 Webinar and Jan. 30 Public Hearing on Elementary School Planning
There are two community engagement opportunities on Elementary School Planning before the School Board is scheduled to take action on Feb. 6 on the Superintendent’s recommendation to move some elementary schools in September 2021, when the new school at the Reed site opens and new boundaries will take effect.
Webinar—Send in questions ahead of time and join APS
- Live webinar at 12:30-1:30 p.m. on Jan. 24, with translation available into multiple languages; details available on APS Engage
- Staff will review comparative analysis of Superintendent’s recommendation and the suggested proposals submitted to APS to date by community members
- Community members can send questions by Jan. 22 that will be answered to the extent possible in the webinar – send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter to @APSVirginia (using hashtag #APSPlans2021)
- Staff will answer clarifying questions about the content during the webinar
School Board Public Hearing—Share your views on Jan. 30
- Begins at 7 p.m. in Syphax Education Center (2110 Washington Blvd.)
- For information on speaking and meeting agendas, visit the School Board meeting webpage
- Snow date is 6 p.m. on Feb. 6
Stay Up to Date with School Board Work Sessions—Jan. 16 and 28The School Board has two upcoming Work Sessions:
- Jan. 16, 7 p.m.: English/Language Arts Academic Update
- Jan. 28, 6 p.m.: With the Advisory Council on Instruction (ACI)
Work Sessions are held at the Syphax Education Center (2110 Washington Blvd.); there is no public comment but these can be observed in person or viewed online.
Have You Completed the 2020 Your Voice Matters Survey? Open through Feb. 28
APS families were sent an email message from Panorama Education on Jan. 13 with a link to the new 2020 Your Voice Matters survey; a paper survey was mailed to families with no email address on file at APS. The 2020 Your Voice Matters survey will be administered through Feb. 28 to APS families, students in grades 4-12, staff and teachers. The biannual survey is conducted by APS and the Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth, and Families to gain insight on such topics as school and community climate, well-being, and engagement. Reports will be available in Spring 2020. For more information, visit APS Engage.