The Arlington School Board’s March schedule of Board Meetings, Work Sessions, and Advisory Council and Committee Meetings is now available. This schedule is subject to change with advance notice provided on the APS website. For more information, contact the School Board Office at 703-228-6015.During in-person meetings, the Board will comply with health and safety guidelines. At this time, masks are optional while indoors.
March School Board Meetings
- Public Comment on Agenda and Non-Agenda items will be heard at the beginning of the meeting and will be limited to 1 hour.
- At each meeting, the Board will hear from a maximum of 30 speakers, and each speaker will have up to 2 minutes to comment.
- 20 slots will be reserved for speakers to sign up online in advance.
- Speakers will have the option to select to speak in person or use the call-in service.
- The online speaker form will be posted four business days before the Board meeting and remain open until 4 p.m. the day before the meeting.
- A lottery process will be used to select speakers if more requests than available slots are received.
- Email confirmations will be sent to speakers 24 hours before the Board meeting.
- New this school year: 10 slots will be reserved for speakers to sign up onsite between 6:15 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. before the School Board meeting. School Board meetings begin at 7 p.m.
- No speaker forms will be accepted before 6:15 p.m. or after 6:45 p.m. No exceptions.
- Speaker forms will be available outside the Board room. Completed forms must be returned to the Deputy Clerk.
- Speakers will be heard in the order their sign-up form was received; however, students will be heard first, regardless of their sign-up order.
- Agendas and background information are posted one week prior to the Board Meeting on BoardDocs.
- For additional details, review the School Board Guidelines for Public Comment During School Board Meetings and Hearings (adopted July 1, 2022).
- This information is posted at https://www.apsva.us/school-board-meetings/sign-up-to-speak/
School Board meetings can be viewed live online or on Comcast Channel 70 or Verizon Channel 41. Agendas and additional information are available in BoardDocs.
- Thu, March 2 School Board Meeting 7 p.m.
- Thu, March 16 School Board Meeting 7 p.m.
- Thu, March 23 Public Hearing Superintendent’s Proposed FY 24 Budget Presentation 7 p.m.
- Thu, March 30 School Board Meeting 7 p.m.
School Board Work Sessions
Work Sessions begin at 6:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. All Work Sessions are live-streamed for online viewing.
- Tue, March 7 Budget Work Session #2 6:30 p.m.
- Tue, March 14 Budget Work Session #3 6:30 p.m.
- Tue, March 21 Budget Work Session #4 6:30 p.m.
- Fri, March 31 Joint School Board/County Board Budget Work Session (Location County Board Room – Bozman Government Center, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Ste 307, 22201) 3 – 5 p.m.
School Board Open Office Hours
For the 2022-2023 school year, the School Board will hold virtual Open Office Hours twice a month. Open Office Hours is a forum for Board members to listen to comments and concerns and to allow community members to speak to Board members on various topics. Information on how to sign-up will be posted on the APS homepage and sent via APS School Talk on the Friday before the scheduled Open Office Hours. Guidelines to participate in Open Office Hours and the upcoming schedule are posted on the Open Office Hours web page.
- Mon, March 6 School Board Open Office Hours with David Priddy 5 – 7 p.m.
- Mon, March 20 School Board Open Office Hours with Cristina Diaz-Torres 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
School Board Advisory Councils and Committees
The School Board seeks the advice of community members through a wide range of advisory committees and councils. These advisory committees and councils are appointed by the School Board to advise the Board and, when appropriate, make recommendations on issues or policies related to the successful operation of the school system. For more information on applying for a committee or meetings schedule, visit the Advisory Committees page.