The Arlington School Board’s November schedule of Board Meetings, Work Sessions, and Advisory Council and Committee Meetings is now available. This schedule is subject to change with advance notice provided on the APS website. For more information, contact the School Board Office at 703-228-6015.During in-person meetings, the Board will comply with health and safety guidelines. At this time, masks are optional while indoors.
November School Board Meetings
- Public Comment on Agenda and Non-Agenda items will be heard at the beginning of the meeting and will be limited to 1 hour.
- At each meeting, the Board will hear from a maximum of 30 speakers, and each speaker will have up to 2 minutes to comment.
- Update: The call-in service will not be used after the October 27 meeting. As of the November 10 meeting, speakers will only have the option to speak in person.
- 20 slots will be reserved for speakers to sign up online in advance.
- The online speaker form will be posted four business days before the Board meeting and remain open until 4 p.m., two business days before the meeting.
- A lottery process will be used to select speakers if more requests than available slots are received.
- Email confirmations will be sent to speakers 24 hours before the Board meeting.
- New this school year: 10 slots will be reserved for speakers to sign up onsite between 6:15 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. before the School Board meeting. School Board meetings begin at 7 p.m.
- No speaker forms will be accepted before 6:15 p.m. or after 6:45 p.m. No exceptions.
- Speaker forms will be available outside the Board room. Completed forms must be returned to the Deputy Clerk.
- Speakers will be heard in the order their sign-up form was received; however, students will be heard first, regardless of their sign-up order.
- Agendas and background information are posted one week prior to the Board Meeting on BoardDocs
- For additional details, review the School Board Guidelines for Public Comment During School Board Meetings and Hearings (adopted July 1, 2022)
- This information is posted at https://www.apsva.us/school-board-meetings/sign-up-to-speak/
Thu, Nov. 10 School Board Meeting
Tue, Nov. 1 Work Session on English Learners
New time 5:30 p.m.
Tue, Nov. 15 Work Session on Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) New time 5:30 p.m.
Tue, Nov. 29 Work Session #1 with the Advisory Committee on Teaching and Learning (ACTL)
School Board Open Office Hours
For the 2022-2023 school year, the School Board will hold virtual Open Office Hours twice a month. Open Office Hours is a forum for Board members to listen to comments and concerns and to allow community members to speak to Board members on various topics. Information on how to sign-up will be posted on the APS homepage and sent via APS School Talk on the Friday before the scheduled Open Office Hours. Guidelines to participate in Open Office Hours and the upcoming schedule are posted on the Open Office Hours web page.
Tue, Nov. 1 School Board Open Office Hours with Barbara Kanninen
8:30 – 10:30 a.m.
Mon, Nov. 14 School Board Open Office Hours with Reid Goldstein
Mon, Nov. 28 School Board Open Office Hours with Barbara Kanninen
4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
School Board Advisory Councils and Committees
The School Board seeks the advice of community members through a wide range of advisory committees and councils. These advisory committees and councils are appointed by the School Board to advise the Board and, when appropriate, make recommendations on issues or policies related to the successful operation of the school system. For more information on applying for a committee or meetings schedule, visit the APS Website.