Due to COVID-19 resulting in APS offices being closed, there are some changes to the Virginia Preschool Initiative and Community Peer Program application process and timeline. In addition, since APS offices are closed, the lotteries for all elementary option schools and pre-K programs will now take place online. Information on all elementary option schools and pre-K programs is available on the options and transfers webpage.
Virginia Preschool Initiative & Community Peer Pre-K Programs
The Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) and Community Peer Pre-K (CPP) programs require families to submit documentation as a part of the application process in person at the APS Welcome Center. Due to the Welcome Center being closed, families will be able to upload all the required documents through their SchoolMint account.
Families must submit proof of income, proof of Arlington residency, proof of child’s age, and parent ID. Families are currently able to access the online application portal to apply and upload their documentation. For families that previously applied and were not able to visit the APS Welcome Center to submit their documentation, they will need to submit it through their online SchoolMint account beginning April 16.
The timeline for submitting applications and the required paperwork has been revised. The following is the revised timeline:
- April 16, 2020: Families will be able to begin uploading documents in their SchoolMint account.
- June 1, 2020: The application for the VPI and CPP programs closes.
- June 10, 2020: Lotteries for the VPI and CPP programs will be held online.
- June 15, 2020: Families will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlist.
- June 22, 2020: Families must confirm or decline attendance to VPI and CPP programs
Elementary Option Schools and Primary Montessori
The timeline for elementary option schools and primary Montessori will remain the same and families are able to apply through the online application portal by the April 15 deadline at 4 p.m. As a reminder, families will need to apply for the option schools or programs they are interested in every year to be included in the lottery because waitlists reset annually after the lottery occurs.The following is the elementary option schools and primary Montessori application process timeline:
- April 15, 2020: The application for all elementary option schools and primary Montessori closes.
- April 23, 2020: Lotteries for all elementary option schools and primary Montessori will be held online.
- May 1, 2020: Families will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlists for all elementary option schools and primary Montessori.
- May 15, 2020: Families must confirm or decline attendance to an elementary option schools or primary Montessori.
The lotteries for elementary option schools and primary Montessori will be conducted online and the link to view the lotteries live will be shared with families on April 14. Families will not receive lottery results on the day of the lottery and will be notified of their acceptance or placement on the waitlist by email and/or text message on May 1.
After families are notified of their acceptance, they must confirm or decline attendance to their preferred school or program by May 15 through their SchoolMint account. In the past when families would accept a slot at an elementary option school, they would have to visit the school to register their child. However, families are unable to register in person at this time. We will be sending information out regarding how to register now that the schools are closed at a later date.
Information on registering students for the 2020-21 school year will be shared with families soon. If families need additional assistance with completing their applications or uploading documents, they should email the APS Welcome Center at firstname.lastname@example.org, and a staff member will follow up with families if needed.