Approves FY 2020 Budget Direction
The School Board approved the 2018-24 Strategic Plan Performance Objectives at last night’s meeting. The performance objectives are quantifiable results that will be used to measure progress toward achieving each of the goals.
At the end of June, the School Board approved the new Strategic Plan which included new goals related to: Student Success; Student Well-Being; Engaged Workforce; Operational Excellence; and Partnerships. The final Strategic Plan, related materials and regular progress updates will be posted on the APS Strategic Plan web page. The 2018-24 Strategic Plan is critical because it will serve as a framework for APS division-wide priorities moving forward, including School Board, school and department plans, and individual work plans. The plan also articulates the APS vision and mission, and serves as the barometer that APS will use to measure its work to provide the best educational opportunities for children.
FY 2020 Budget Direction
The Board also approved its FY 2020 Budget Direction that directs the Superintendent to prepare an FY 2020 budget to maintain APS’s 27,500+ student school system and ensure long-term sustainability. This is especially critical as APS faces cost pressures due to ongoing student enrollment growth, debt service, and staff compensation. The opening of five new schools/programs in Fall 2019 also will increase baseline operating costs significantly. To read more, visit BoardDocs.
The School Board approved the appointment of Erin Wales-Smith as Interim Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources. Her appointment is effective immediately.
- Final Report from the Career Center Working Group (CCWG) – Kathleen McSweeney, Chair of the CCWG provided the Board with the working group’s findings. To read the full report, click here.
- Minor Construction/Major Maintenance (MC/MM) – This is the annual update to the School Board on the latest round of Minor Construction/Major Maintenance (MC/MM) projects most of which occurred over summer break. The full presentation is available on BoardDocs.
- 2018-19 Internal Audit Work Plan – Staff updated the Board on the annual Internal Audit Plan which provides operational, financial, and compliance audit services to APS. Staff also reviewed the findings of the recently released study on APS construction costs compared to neighboring districts. The full Internal Audit presentation is available online and to read more about the construction costs report, click here.
- Revision to School Board Policy I-7.5 Adult Education – Staff provided its recommended revisions to SBP I-7.5. Read more here.
- Deletion of School Board Policy I-1.33 General Instruction – Staff is recommending the deletion of SBP I-1.33. The presentation is available here.
Students who participated in the Summer Literacy Academy shared their experiences in the program and what they learned. The Board then honored eight student high school leaders as part of the Hispanic Heritage Month celebration. The students were recognized for their successes in school and life and their leadership abilities. To learn more about each student, click here.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
The School Board will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thursday, October 18, at 7 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.