Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month
The Arlington School Board adopted its 2019-20 Action Plan that will be shared as a progress report for School Board priorities during the year ahead at last night’s meeting.
The key components of the plan include a primary focus on hiring a Superintendent as well as a Chief Diversity Officer and Partnership Coordinator. The Action Plan also includes operational planning, a focus on student success and wellbeing and creating new policies as well as policy revisions.The full action plan is available on the BoardDocs.
The Board approved the final design and construction contract for the new elementary school at Reed. The Board awarded the contract to Gilbane Building Company in the amount of $42,617,297. The Reed school will include a minimum of 725 seats and will be completed in time for the 2021-22 school year. The Board also approved a transfer of $2.75 million from the Capital Reserve to the project funding for APS’ contribution for the Arlington County/APS jointly funded items. The full presentation is available online.
The Board also approved the nomination of Dr. Barbara Kanninen for the Virginia School Boards Association Northeast Regional Chair.
- Career Center Expansion Pre-Construction Phase Construction Management at-Risk Contract – Staff presented the proposed Career Center expansion project pre-construction phase Construction Management at-Risk (CMR) contract and recommended that the Board approve a contract award for Phase 1 in the amount of $664,850 to Gilbane Building Company.
- School Board’s FY 2021 Budget Direction – The proposed budget direction directs the Interim Superintendent to prepare an FY 2021 budget that maintains APS’ almost 28,000-student school system, focuses on supporting our staff, and emphasizes the School Board’s three top priorities:
- Increased achievement for all reporting groups that shows progress toward eliminating the opportunity gap,
- Improved mental health measures and access to mental health resources, and
- All students can identity at least one school-based adult who supports and encourages their academic and personal growth.
- Proposed Revisions to School Board Policy B-2.1.33 School Liaison – Staff presented proposed changes to SBP B-2.1.33 that will align the policy to current APS practices and related policies; clarify that liaison assignments are made to a number of APS and community groups in addition to schools; and create a policy implementation procedure.
To see more on these items, visit BoardDocs.
Staff provided and update on the Health and Physical Education Program. Read the report here.
As part of Arlington Public School’s Hispanic Heritage Month celebration, the Board then honored eight high school student-leaders for their successes in school and life and their leadership abilities. Visit the APS website to learn more about each student.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
The School Board will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thursday, Oct. 3 at 7 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.