Staff Updates Board on School Naming Criteria Process
The Arlington School Board approved the 2018-19 school year calendar at last night’s meeting. Key Dates in the proposed calendar include:
- Aug. 6 – First Day of School for Barcroft)
- Sept. 4 – First Day of School (except Barcroft)
- Nov. 21 – 23 – Thanksgiving Break
- Dec. 24 – Jan. 4 – Winter Break (two weeks)
- April 15 – 19 – Spring Break
- June 19 – Last Day for High School Students; Middle School Promotions
- June 20 – Last Day for Barcroft; High School Graduation
- June 21 – Last Day for Elementary and Middle School Students
The full presentation, as well as calendars for Barcroft, H-B Woodlawn, Stratford, Arlington Community High School and Langston High School Continuation Program are available online.
SCHOOL NAMING CRITERIA
The Staff Committee will be working during February and March to develop more expanded naming criteria for the current APS School Naming Policy, and a recommendation for the revised criteria will be presented to the Board in the Spring. Once approved, the new Naming Criteria will be used next fall to select names for the new middle school at the Stratford site; to approve or revise the name of the new neighborhood elementary school at the Drew site; a name for the new Primary and Elementary Montessori school at the Henry site; and a name for the new building at the Wilson site.
Acknowledging that community input on the name of Washington-Lee High School, the process has been revised to create an Ad Hoc Community Committee that will engage the community in a more extensive conversation around the Washington-Lee name next fall with the help of an independent facilitator. The community will make their report to the School Board in December 2018 which will inform the School Board’s decision to maintain the current name or to rename the high school.
The full report and input received in the fall on the school naming and criteria has been posted online.
- Superintendent’s 2017-18 Action Plan Update – Murphy updated the Board on other efforts underway on the action plan to support the Board’s work this year.
- Acceptable Use (1:1) Policies: The Technology and ACI Advisory Committee will review the draft policy and there will be opportunities for community engagement.
- Elementary School Planning Initiative – Phase I: Elementary School Location and Walk Zone Review for Neighborhood and Options Schools is currently underway. Staff will present a recommendation to the Board in the Spring.
- Operational Planning – Staff will present a monitoring report on the Arlington Facilities and Student Accommodation Plan (AFSAP), Projections and Capacity Utilization at the Feb. 15 meeting.
The public is invited to learn more, ask questions or comment on any of the action plan engagement initiatives that are underway by visiting www.apsva.us/engage.
- Security Update – Staff also provided an update to the Board on security efforts. The report highlighted emergency management efforts such as collaboration with local, regional, and national authorities; regular participation in a variety of emergency drills; Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services Safety and Inspection Audit; the role of School Resources Officers; radio communications; visitor management; and bus safety. The full report is available online.
- Revisions to School Board Policy Process – The Board approved changes to the Policy review and revision process that also includes a new policy numbering system. More information is available online.
- Revision of School Board Policy 45-2 Acceptable Use of Electronic Networked Resources and Internet Safety – The Board adopted policy changes that are limited to items required by the Code of Virginia. These include prohibited use of the internet; internet content filtering; and internet safety curriculum for students. These changes ensure that APS remains compliant and provides flexibility in establishing other governance documents.
- Summer School Update – The School Board approved the Summer School update which includes a reduction in fees for Career Center Enrichment programs as well as a shift in dates for strengthening and enrichment courses. More information is available on BoardDocs.
- Construction Contract Award for Randolph Modernization – The Board was provided an update on the major Randolph modernization project that includes HVAC, electrical, and lighting infrastructure replacement. The work will occur in two phases. Phase I will take place this summer and Phase II will take place during the summer of 2019. Staff recommended that a contract for $4,744,000 be awarded to Shapiro and Duncan, Inc. and to approve the proposed total project budge of $6.2 million. Staff also recommended that the Board approve the use of available HVAC, Roofing and Infrastructure bonds to fully fund the project.
- Major Randolph Modernization That Includes HVAC, Electrical, And Lighting Infrastructure Replacement – Staff also recommended that the Board approve a contract award for Phase I: Pre-Construction Services in the amount of $436,659 to Gilbane Building Company. More information is available on BoardDocs.
At the start of the meeting, the School Board recognized the 43 teachers who earned their National Board Certification as well as the 14 APS teachers who earned a 10-year renewal of their NBCT certification. In recognition of School Board Appreciation Month in February, Arlington County Council of PTAs (CCPTA) president Jennifer Bauer thanked School Board members for their work on behalf of students and staff. The theme of this year’s celebration, “Advancing Opportunities for All,” reflects the top priority of the Arlington School Board members as they advocate for public education on behalf of all students.
Next School Board Meeting:
The next School Board meeting will be held on Thu, Feb. 15 at 6:30 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
For More Information
Citizens who want to comment on any of the items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes of the meeting will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.