Discusses PreK-12 Instructional Pathways
The School Board approved 2019-20 School Year Calendar at last night’s meeting. The calendar committee developed two calendar options and recommended calendar Option 1 which provides more consistency for instruction in the fall.
Key dates in the approved 2019-20 School Year Calendar include:
- Tue, Sept. 3 – First day of school for K-12 students
- Oct. 24-25 – Elementary and middle school parent-teacher conferences
- Nov. 27-29 – Thanksgiving Break
- Dec. 23-Jan. 3 – Winter Break
- March 5-6 – Elementary and middle school parent-teacher conferences
- April 6-10 – Spring Break
- June 17 – Last day for high school students
- June 18 – High School Graduation
- June 19 – Last day for elementary and middle school students
Some of the other days that students will have off include Columbus Day (10/14 – staff professional learning day), Election Day (11/5 – staff grade preparation day), Veterans Day (11/11), MLK Jr. Birthday (1/20), Presidents Day (2/17), and Memorial Day (5/25). The first day of school for Barcroft Elementary, which operates under a modified year-round calendar, will be August 6. The full presentation and the approved Option 1 calendar are available online.
- PreK to Grade 12 Instructional Program Pathways Review – Staff provided an initial review of plans to articulate the rationale for the PreK-12 Instructional Program Pathways and to provide information on the initial plans for developing the PreK-12 Instructional Program Pathways (IPP). Part of the process will include defining the elements of an “Options School” or “Options Program.” It will also develop a draft of the PreK-12 IPP that:
- Defines a variety of entry points to APS instructional programs
- Provides for PreK-12 articulation where appropriate
- Supports a clear message of access for all families and students
- Aligns with the Strategic Plan and Profile of a Graduate
- Articulates multiple pathways for student success
- Defines the schools and programs that fit within the pathways
The School Board will meet in a Work Session on Tue, Feb. 12, at 7p.m. to begin discussing the Instructional Program Pathways in greater detail.
- Professional Learning on Equity – The Board was presented with an update on professional learning related to equity. The full report is available on BoardDocs.
The Board discussed staff presentations on the following:
- Proposed Revisions to School Board Policy D-10.1 Purchasing
- Proposed Revisions to School Board Policy D-10.30 Purchasing-School Board Approval Required on Construction and Non-Construction Contracts
- Extended Day Licensing
- Transfer of Funds from Capital Reserve for Fleet Elementary School Joint Funding Items
- Change Order to Construction Contract Sum for Fleet Elementary School
- Education Center Reuse Schematic Design
- Access Easement for Dominion Energy at the Heights Building
To learn more about the above items, click here.
The meeting began with a recognition of the 20 teachers who earned or renewed National Board Certification.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
The School Board will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thu, Feb. 21 at 7 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-6015. School Board meetings are broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.