Recognizes 2018 Bond Co-Chairs for Efforts that Led to Historic School Bond Approval
The Arlington School Board approved its Legislative Package, which includes the legislative and funding issues and initiatives that will be supported by the Board during the 2019 session of the Virginia General Assembly.
To see the full list of legislative and funding issues that the School Board supports, click here.
OTHER ACTION ITEMS:
In addition, the Board approved the following items:
- Proposed School Board Policy J-15.8 Acceptance of Electronic Signatures and Records – The approved changes align with the Code of Virginia and ensure APS follows the Code of Virginia when accepting electronic signatures and documents. The policy also provides governance for increasing acceptance of electronic signatures and documents.
- Transfer of Unspent Capital Project Funds to Capital Reserve – The Board approved the Superintendent’s recommendation to transfer $1,892,810.10 in remaining funds from the closed capital constructions projects to the Capital Reserve.
The School Board recognized and thanked School Bond co-chairs Lida Anestidou and Laura Saul Edwards for their work in engendering strong community support for the 2018 School Bond. Arlington voters made history at the polls on Nov. 6, approving the $103 million school bond measure by 81.97 percent. This represents the highest approval rating in the history of Arlington Public Schools bonds, dating back to 1951.
Staff presented an update to the School Board on the design development for the new elementary school at Reed project. See the full presentation here.
- Revision of School Board Policy G-2.14 Employment – Staff presented its recommendation on updating SBP G-2.14 to ensure APS is in alignment with the Virginia Code in relationship to the regulations governing licensure. To see the recommendations, click here.
- Revision of School Board Policy E-3.30 Building and Grounds Management – Staff is proposing to update this policy that was originally updated in 2003. To see the proposed updates, click here.
- Contract Award for Field at Arlington Science Focus School – Staff is recommending that the Board award a contract for installation of a synthetic turf field at Arlington Science Focus Elementary School to The Matthews Group in the amount of $532,000. Read more here.
The School Board recognized student representatives that attended the annual Minority Student Achievement Network conference in Boston earlier this year. Students shared their experiences at the annual conference and what they learned meeting with peers from across the country.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
The School Board will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thursday, December 6 at 6 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.