Recognizes National Custodial Workers Day
The School Board adopted its Fiscal Year 2021 Budget Direction at the Oct. 3 meeting. The budget direction directs the Interim Superintendent to prepare an FY 2021 budget that maintains APS’ almost 28,000-student school system, focuses on supporting our staff, and emphasizes the School Board’s three top priorities:
- Increased achievement for all reporting groups that shows progress toward eliminating the opportunity gap,
- Improved mental health measures and access to mental health resources, and
- All students can identity at least one school-based adult who supports and encourages their academic and personal growth.
The School Board’s discussion centered around compensation for employees and the adopted direction states a goal to provide a compensation increase to all employees.
- Library Services Update – Staff provided the Board with an update on Library Services that included student success and well-being; partnerships and recommendations. To view the full report, visit BoardDocs.
- Internal Audit Plan – Staff briefed the Board on the internal audit plan which is done in consultation with the Audit Committee. The full report is available online.
The School Board recognized the more than 250 custodians who are dedicated to maintaining our buildings and keeping our schools and facilities clean, enjoyable and operating smoothly year-round for students, staff and visitors. Art Bell, Director, Facilities and Operations, and Levi Novey, Chair of the Superintendent’s Sustainability Committee, shared remarks about the critical role of our custodians in supporting sustainability efforts, maintaining our schools and providing a friendly face and positive influence for students in their schools. To read more about our custodians, see photos and watch a video, visit our website.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
The School Board will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thursday, Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.