Superintendent Provides Annual Update to School Board
The School Board discussed the proposed 2019-20 School Year Calendar at last night’s meeting. Staff developed two calendar options and is recommending calendar option 1 that provides more consistency for instruction in the fall.
Key dates include:
- 3 – First day of school for students
- 24-25 – Elementary and middle school parent-teacher conferences
- 27-29 – Thanksgiving Break
- 23-Jan. 3 – Winter Break
- April 6-10 – Spring Break
- June 17 – Last day for high school students
- June 18 – High School Graduation
- June 19 – Last day for elementary and middle school students
The Board is expected to approve the 2019-20 school year calendars on Feb. 7. The presentation and draft calendar options are available online.
The Superintendent presented his annual update to the School Board at the Jan. 24 meeting. The update included an overview of enrollment projections and operational adjustments to prepare for the 2019-20 school year. Click here to read more.
The School Board approved the recommendations for the FY18 Final Fiscal Status Report. To see the full report and presentation, click here.
- Contract Award for Construction Manager Advisor Services (CMS) for the New Elementary School at Reed – Staff is recommending that the Board award the contract for CMA services to CBRE Heery, Inc. in the amount of $1,265,699.
- Contract Award for Construction Manager Advisor Services for the Education Center Reuse Project – Staff recommends the Board approve CMA services to MBP, Inc in the amount of $582,695.
More information for both Information Items is available on BoardDocs.
The School Board recognized the winners of the 2019 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Literary and Visual Arts Contest at the start of the meeting.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
The School Board will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thu, Feb. 7 at 7 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com or call 703-228-6015. School Board meetings are broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.